We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

I will preface this post that prior to considering vacationing in Provo, we were considering St. Maarten but cancelled after reading about the mosquito disease outbreak and CDC alert there.

How are the mosquitos on Provo? (We've decided to book Villa del Mar.) Would you stay on the first floor with a patio near the pool or a second or third floor with a balcony? I really dislike bugs and mosquitos so I'm leaning towards second floor or higher, but figured I'd ask since I haven't read anyone complaining about bugs or mosquitos in any reviews or forum posts. First floor has a definite convenience factor but not worth choosing if I'll be eaten by mosquitos.

Thanks!

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

Mosquitos fly, so not sure if the height factor has anything to do with it. Go for the 1st floor. Mosquitos are sort of determined by the weather which is not predictable. If it is breezy and has not rained for awhile there will not be any. Keep screens closed and they are not a problem.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

Mosquitos usually are within 25 feet or lower to the ground. The females respond(scent) to warm CO2 exhaled, body odor and chemicals emitted from mammals(including humans). Height of 3rd or higher floor puts you away from most of them, though not all. Ground floor are you are @ ground zero. DR. JIM

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

The only time I have ever had an issue at VDM was our 1st night in 2012 in a 2nd floor unit. I don't remember if it rained that day. We have stayed on the ground floor as well with no issues. I'm a mosquito magnet. They love me & will go for just me & ignore my husband & kids. If you're worried, bring bug spray or just don't hang out at dusk on your patio in short sleeves.

Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

Thank you. I appreciate the opinions.

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

I just wanted to comment on the St Maarten mosquito issue. I live in Dallas and we are the West Nile capital of the U.S. and we have a gazillion more mosquitos in our backyard. Even in the dryest part of the summer i can't go in our backyard because of them. So I was terrified when we went to St Maarten 3 years ago because of the Dengue warnings. I am a mosquito magnet. I mean seriously, if there is one in the area it will find me. I get the big itchy welts. They bite me even when wearing Deep Woods Off. I was expecting it to be bad like Dallas but with mosquitos carrying an even worse disease.

I took at least 3 cans of Off and guess what? I did not see a single mosquito.

We went all over the island to many different beaches, sat outside at night on our patio and still didn't see any. We went to Barbados the following year and they have the same warning. Same thing - no mosquitos.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

So I guess you could say... mosquitos are about as predictable as the rain... er weather.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

Lot's of stagnant water after rains translates to lot's of skin pricking blood hungry female mosquitos. DR. JIM

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

Forget the mosquitoes, it's the no-see-ums that are the little beasts! They don't bother my wife, probably because they're too busy eating me. Deep Woods Off Dry, that's the stuff that keeps me sane.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,793 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

We did not see any mosquitoes but came back with all sorts of bug bites from something.

NH
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the mosquitos bad? 2nd floor balcony over 1st floor pati

Someone posted awhile back that if you slather on heavy sunscreen the sand fleas and no see ums can't bite through the sunscreen. I think that must be so. The only time I was ever bitten was when I wasn't covered in a layer of the stuff.