We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

I wanted to glide into my 50th birthday gracefully on Grace Bay. Problem - my husband was going to be away on business half way around the world with no way of changing those plans. Solution - ask my sisters to go with me. One could make it; one couldn't. Shot a quick email to Val at Turks & Caicos Reservations, and within a few days we settled on a jr. suite at the Ocean Club West.

This was my first stay at the resort and I really liked it. The jr. suite is big and accommodated my sister and me nicely. We had suite 422 and it was very clean and had a great view of the grounds, pool, restaurant, and ocean. Full kitchen that had every utensil, plate and bowl you could possibly need to cook a meal, the furnishings were nice, and we loved the screened-in porch with table and chairs. Great place to have our breakfast and iced coffees in the morning. The beach had a lot of umbrellas and chairs, and some were available at all hours.

New things for me this trip:

Didn't rent a car so we used Majestic Taxi on a recommendation from Ajax (thanks, Ajax!!). Antoinette from Majestic was at the airport at the end of the tunnel waiting for us when we arrived. We made a quick stop at the IGA for a few things and were on our way to OCW. Her husband (his name escapes me, sorry) was at the OCW bright and early to take us to the airport for our 8:50 am flight. Excellent, prompt emails and service. Will definitely use them again when I don't have a car rental.

French Bakery - where have you been all of these trips? Seriously I had heard about this place but never stopped. You are totally missing out if you don't. $3.80 for a ham and cheese croissant for breakfast and other yummy looking baked goods that we didn't get the chance to try, plus friendly service with a smile. This will be a staple for my husband and me going forward for a quick, cheap breakfast or for a couple of rolls to make sandwiches. A quick walk from the OCW.

Seaside Cafe - another great find. It's amazing to me that you can hit an island 13 or 14 times (lost count) and still have great finds right under your nose. We had dinner here on our first night and lunch one other day and everything was absolutely delicious. If you love conch, highly recommend the Peruvian conch salad. My new favorite dish on the island and I could have eaten it every day we were there. They also do a mean ceasar salad with grilled grouper.

Pizza at Bella Luna's pizza garden - the pizzas and salad were definitely good but I can't say I loved the pizza garden area. Just a personal choice, I guess. We ordered two pizzas because we wanted lunch for the following day, but we could have easily shared one if we didn't want the leftovers. Will go back, maybe just to take out as the pizza was definitely the best I've had on the island, so far.

The Deck at Seven Stars - enjoyed our meals and drinks, and it is a quick walk from the OCW. We came in through the front of the resort on our way to dinner but figured out that it's much quicker to get to this restaurant from the beach so walked home that way.

My birthday dinner was at Caicos Cafe where I've eaten before and which is another quick walk from the OCW. Ceasar salad and grilled lobster - does it get any better? We did not have a reservation but went on the early side (about 6:45 pm) and they were happy to seat us.

It was a quick trip and it was fun to see a bit of the island through my sister's eyes as we walked the beach as far as we could go every day, as we shopped and as we dined. She was entranced from the moment she stepped on the beach and she and her husband are now trying to plan a quick getaway there soon. Everyone always asks my husband and me why we keep going back and now my sister absolutely gets why. With any luck, this sister's trip will become an annual trip as we've already told our other sister she is definitely coming with us next year.

So that's it until our next trip in June.

Lastly, Gigi, if you're reading, happy belated birthday to you! How do I know when Gigi's birthday is?? We share the date. :)

Mentioned in this post
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,106 Reviews
Providenciales
Ocean Club West
Ocean Club West
918 Reviews
Providenciales
The Deck at Seven Stars Resort
The Deck at Seven Stars...
1,008 Reviews
Providenciales
Caicos Cafe Bar & Grill
Caicos Cafe Bar & Grill
1,508 Reviews
Providenciales
Coconut grove restaurant and lounge
££ - £££, Caribbean, Bar, Seafood
Cocovan
££ - £££, Caribbean, Bar, Seafood
Turks Kebab
£, Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

Linda, welcome to the 50 club, enjoyed your report. We love staying at OCW. I concur about all your restaurants comments. We like the Bella Luna pizza garden, but something was off on our last trip. The staff seemed worn out and we did not get the smiles I was expecting.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

Happy 50th! What a wonderful place to spend such a special birthday. You may not of been able to share it with hubby, but a sister is special too!

Majestic is wonderful! We used them also on our last trip based on Ajax's recommendations! Husband's name is Leonard.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

We are in room 434 at OCW right now! It's our first time to Turks and Caicos. I LOVE it here. Ditto everything you said.

Tonight we walked the beach (both ways) to Somewhere. 3 miles each way!

The bakery is awesome. We are having dessert next on the porch here.

Mentioned in this post
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

Nancy....so glad to hear that you're loving TCI!

I wasn't sure you'd make it out of here on Wed due to the blizzard.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

MuyLinda: Welcome to the 50 club; it's a great club!! And thanks for the great inspiration as I "glide" into 60 in 3 years!!! Great trip report; great information. Happy Birthday!!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

Great to enjoy your time with your sister for #50. It gets better for the next milestone of #60 too! DR. JIM

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,203 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

Sounds awesome Linda, and you picked the same restaurant to celebrate it that I did. Happy Birthday!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

What a wonderful way to celebrate your 50th! I am sure it's a birthday you won't soon forget. My sis and I have been lucky enough to travel to some great places together too, we always have so much fun!

So glad you got to experience OCW and liked it. We really enjoy staying there as well. It definitely has a nice laid back vibe.

Glad you had such a great time!

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

Happy 50th! So glad you had a great time, perfect place with awesome company to celebrate.

Thanks for your report.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,619 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gliding into my 50th birthday on Grace Bay :)

Good stuff Linda. But no Lupo? I'm shocked!

That Peruvian conch salad at Seaside may be the conch salad to beat. Glad you enjoyed

Mentioned in this post
Lupo Restaurant
Lupo Restaurant
611 Reviews
Providenciales