We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running Track and General Running Question.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Running Track and General Running Question.

I am a runner and have already read a few posts about running on Provo. I will be staying close to Villa del Mar / Grace Bay Club and it appears that I can run on Grace Bay Rd or the beach (although I am a road runner). I have some concerns about dogs and cars (more dogs than cars.)

When I was "flying over" Provo on Google Maps there is a running track near the intersection of Venetian Rd and the Leeward Hwy. It looks like this may be on the campus of school. Can anyone tell me about this track and if it is OK/safe for me to run on it? Will anyone care?

For my runs on Grace Bay Rd or the beach do I need to be concerned about dogs? I read there are plenty by Salt Mills Plaza.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running Track and General Running Question.

its independent from the school and is a very good track - lots of people run there

iaaf.net/aboutiaaf/…index.html

as for road running, don't worry about dogs!!!

I have trained for many ultra races here and often run from Silly creek to Leeward at 4.30am and never had dog (or any other) incident and that included a section of the highway.

the only dogs you need to think about at Salt Mill are the hot dogs at Als Diner :)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running Track and General Running Question.

I assume there is no fee to run on that track then?

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running Track and General Running Question.

I have never run there as I prefer the road and trails, but I assume the clubs and groups that use it pay something?

nit sure they'd be interested in a solo runner? maybe an email to check?

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running Track and General Running Question.

In training for a marathon last year I had a run-in with some dogs on the beach in Leeward. I had headphones on and didn't see/hear them coming from a beach access road. They started me pretty badly but I just stopped and waited for them to move on. I'm not sure if they were strays - they looked well-fed and clean, so they may have been protective of their turf. I've run in provo every year we've visited and this was the only time I had a problem and hopefully the last! If you get a chance, run towards Leeward on the beach... it is stunning!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
478 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running Track and General Running Question.

The dogs on Provo are very sweet and used to people. I'm not much of a runner, treadmill mostly, but the sand is like concrete near the water, very solid!

6. Re: Running Track and General Running Question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:22