We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Renting a car next month for 7 days. Debating using airport Avis or Scooter Bobs. Both are compact cars. Avis is $343 and scooter bobs is $318 for the week.

Which company do travelers have a better experience with on this island?

I'm staying at Ocean Club East 4/13-4/20 (Easter Week)

Thanks,

Mike

Boston...
Level Contributor
183 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

We usually rent from Grace Bay CR (older vehicles) or Thrifty (newer vehicles) which is owned by Todd & Leslie who own GBCR. Last year we rented a Jeep from Scooter Bob's since my husband really wanted a Jeep Wrangler and did not have a good experience and for the $ it was not worth it. We did not get a Jeep (even though we had confirmed this 2x prior to arrival via phone - no email confirmation provided) - got an older SUV when we arrived and when we asked for the Jeep they brought it out to us the next day but Scooter Bob himself was quite rude to us when dropping it off (they had offered this service). The Jeep we got stalled constantly and had holes in the floor, no top at all. We were able to exchange the Jeep back for the older SUV which ran better and was in slightly better shape. Based on the experience we had we would not recommend Scooter Bob's or rent from them again. Tood & Leslie at GBCR/Thrifty run a very good operation with excellent customer service - I would recommend them!

Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

We also use Grace Bay Car Rentals. I agree that the cars are "older" BUT they are convenient and a great company. You can pick up and drop off the car right at the airport, which for us is convenient.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Hey Michael, we'll be there the same week. We're staying at OCW but always spend some time at the Cabana.

Lately, we have been using Avis for all our trips. They provide good service and we always get the economy clown car with the manual transmission. The car suits us fine and is fun to drive around the island.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

Thanks for the feedback. GBCR doesn't have an economy car available that week, therefore it's too expensive and not an option. I also don't feel comfortable operating a manual with the driver side on the right, although I could figure it out I don't wanna freak out my girlfriend at the same time.

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

I have reserved a full size car on Turks and Caicos from March 12-19. When I showed up at the airport Budget representative told us that he did not have a full size car and that he would give us a different car. He drove us to Budgets office and said that he can give us a compact. I asked that since we booked a full size and they didnt have it they should upgrade us for free. Budget representative said that that was not possible and that we should take it or leave it. We were off the airport now and did not have any other options, so we reluctantly took the car. The price was almost the same as for our full size (which was disappointing). To make things worse, after couple of days our car couldnt start any longer. We called Budget office numerous times but no one was answering the call (concierge from our hotel tried as well). Then we notice an emergency number on the rental agreement and we called that number. The person said they were very sorry and would come to our hotel immediately. He didnt show up that day so we called him again. Same thing happened again and once we called him again, he showed up the third day. He then gave us another car (compact again). When we returned the car they gave us a hard time because we were returning a different car that what we originally rented and they had no record of the exchange. They refused to credit us for the two days we did not have our car. Overall very disappointing experience.

NYS
Level Contributor
285 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

We've been to Provo twice -

first trip, rented from Scooter Bob's, nice people, junky cars, had to switch cars twice due to mechanical problems.

second trip, last week, rented from Avis, vehicle in very good condition, no problems, higher prices.

So if you can afford the extra $$ for Avis, go for it; but if money is an issue, the folks at S. Bob's will take care of any problems.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
10,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

If there is just the 2 of you, a puddle bug from Avis would be best of the two rentals. However, you should get a "Rezzy" on one before there aren't available vehicles you want for your week. You don't want to settle for a SUV for $850 because that's all available. DR. JIM

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

We rented a little 4 door car from Avis for the 2 of us and it was plenty for what we needed and our luggage. I was quite embarrassed with all the sand that was in the car after 7 days and had taken it to the office to find a place to vacuum it out before returning it and the nice lady there said not to worry about it. I was afraid of the extra charge. Not everyone can expect this and maybe she was just being nice, but I'm placing my money with Avis again for our next trip to TCI.

Level Contributor
60 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

I recently rented from Tropical. It was an economy car about 50 bucks per day. They had a rep waiting at the airport and then they picked the car up at OC East. We just left the keys at the front desk. Very good experience, friendly responsive staff. The car was a newer car in good shape. I would try them.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

I ended renting through hertz. They had A reasonable price and were at the airport (we are staying nowhere near grace bay so wanted a car close to airport). I chose a cheaper small car knowing that when I get there they may not have the size car we reserved so I didn't want to commit to a higher price and end up with a small car anyway. (I've been burned before in the islands). Anyway, I'm reading now all these posts about bad service, cars with flat tires and no jacks to change them, damage to the car from other drivers resulting in huge charges to their credit card, etc. I tried to book a car through Avis and now it's too late. Are there other options? I see there's a budget rental car by airport. Should I consider them? Thanks