We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipper Waitstaff & Beach Attendants

Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tipper Waitstaff & Beach Attendants

I've researched and read prior posts on here about tipping but am still a little unsure. Are we supposed to tip 15% on top of the final restaurant bill for our waiter? Or is it 15% of the food bill but before the service charges are added to it? Am I correct that its 15% for good service and 20% for great service?

Also, what do you tip daily beach attendants at your hotel (for instance VDM)?

How much of you tip a cab driver for a $50 fare for 3 people?

Thank you,

Nicole

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,122 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipper Waitstaff & Beach Attendants

Why not rent a car? $49 daily (plus taxes) for unlimited driving, not just for 1 ride.

If bill has a service charge, double that line for 20% overall tip. If bill has no service charge, then 15-20% before tax.

If in doubt about service charge, ask!

Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipper Waitstaff & Beach Attendants

Thanks for writing. We tried to rent a car through GBCR and they're full so we're out of luck there. We only wanted to rent the car for 24 hours and leave it at the hotel so we liked that they don't charge extra for dropping it off at our hotel. Since they don't have any cars, we are now taking a taxi to/from the airport, which is why I would like to know about tipping on a $50 fare.

Thanks for the tip about the restaurant bill. Also, please excuse my terrible writing in my first post. I was in a hurry to write it on my phone. We leave tomorrow!!! I hope the weather is nice there and the small jellyfish are gone or at least not near VDM.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipper Waitstaff & Beach Attendants

Your first 3 questions pertaining to a food/dinner bill. You order food & drink and it comes to $150 before any charges(taxes/hostage gratuity) 20% of that is $30. That's what you tip. If they toss a 15%($22.50) hostage gratuity on that bill. You retaliate with $8 to make it 20%. Now that beachmaster, $5-10/day depending on what he/she(haven't seen a she one yet on Grace Bay) does to set up(unlocking a beach lounger/chair,umbrella, bringing you towels,etc) for your personal beach nest or your base of operations on that beach camp. Now the 5th question about that moving hired containment vehicle(taxi/van). Fare is $50, you have a small family of 4 with luggage to be handled, toss that driver/operator 3 or 4 Lincolns($5). Now something extra is that room person(s) who takes care of your room you and your family reside in while here in Island Paradise. This is the most important and sometimes most ignored one to tip. They are taking care of your personal space. Do not ignore tipping them because they have the most vested responsibility. I have no qualms tipping 10% to them even though most resorts tack on that 10% charge/fee to your room. They do/perform the most important service and I want to make sure they get compensated accordingly. If the daily room rate is $500/night that equates to $50/daily tip in my book. I want them to take pride in taking care of our personal space while on the Island. It usually take them an hour to clean our suite(3 bathrooms that are used) for my family of 5. Not the easiest of jobs to do. Worth it to me though. You have choice factor--meaning do what you feel is right? I feel much better about myself during my vacation and that settles in my mind that I am helping some human being somewhat. That it is what makes/helps the local Island families life ticks a little better. DR. JIM

Mountainside, New...
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipper Waitstaff & Beach Attendants

Thank you so much. Very helpful.

5. Re: Tipper Waitstaff & Beach Attendants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:15