We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

Westminster...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

American Airlines is sending us from PLS to MIA to BOS on a sunday evening with a 2 hour layover. It seems to be cutting it close. Are the airport lines any better now with the free automated passport machines? any advice?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

2 hours should be plenty of time - we do 90 minute layovers in MIA routinely.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

Have made that connection more than once, although haven't been through Miami in a couple of years. That said best advice I received is when you enter the immigration area, stay to the far right as those counters are for US citizens only..

Texas
Level Contributor
577 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

Since MIA has made a dedicated security checkpoint after customs/immigration, eliminating the need to go back through to the flight check-in security lines (which were often horridly long), 2 hours should be more than enough time. YMMV

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

Returning back from Paradise through Miami with 2 hours might even allow you time to get something to eat. We just returned twice from Provo in the past 6 months with a 90 minute & a 2 hour layover in Miami Airport. One(the 2 hr) we had our 3 young daughters with the extra luggage that goes along with it. Takes more time with a family of gathering and getting through the airport than just a couple with one checked bag. Allow for that. DR. JIM

Edited: 09 April 2014, 19:35
NH
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

Wow... Really? We went through MIA from PLS on a Tuesday last Sept. with a 3 hour connection. I didn't feel there was much time to spare. We did (however) need a few extra minutes to grab a bag lunch "to go." Maybe we landed at a bad time but the lines in immigration seemed especially long. I wish I had timed the whole process down to the minute.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

we've done the PLS-MIA-BOS several times and two hours has been more than enough time, even with a quick bite to eat.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

MIA connection is lengthy and chaotic. If you have Global Entry, it should be very quick. Otherwise, you may or may not make it. MIA always rank among worst for connecting flight.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 03:22
maryland
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

No more counters at imigrations, all kiosks for us citizens. Make sure you follow the signs for us citizens. From when I left in March to when I left in April the route changed a little. They have made it very nice for citizens. The custom and secutity line everyone is all together, so depending on the day of the week and the time of day both the customs and the new dedicated security line can be chaotic and packed or breeze right through. Those are the two areas of concern. On a midweek flight I wouldn't be concerned at all. Any weekend (Friday-Sunday) a two hour layover would totally stress me out.

So many variables, where are your seats on the plane, what gate do you arrive at( some you can walk to passport control, some you have to take the sky train), is your plane on time, where is your departure gate, do you have pre check, first class or global entry(many times they had no special line for those), checked bags or no checked bags.

For every person who has had an easy time there are ones that have had very bad times.

In the last 12 months I have flown through Miami a half dozen times and I have experienced all of the above.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 12:26
Westminster...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

Update. Left Provo yesterday, Sunday flight at 3:25pm. Experienced no waiting at all for baggage or security in Provo at 1 pm. Found 4 seats easily. Crowded but no big deal. Expected the worst in Miami but again very little waiting. Seems Miami is much improved with the automated kiosks. Time from landing in MIA to getting through customs, baggage and security was less than 1 hour.

10. Re: PLS to MIA to Bos 2 hour layover. probable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:15