We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkel tour?

MD
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best snorkel tour?

I'll be in T&C on the 11th for a week and want to go out on at least 1 (and possibly more) snorkel trips out in a boat. I'm wondering which are the best snorkel tours on the island.

I'm an experienced snorkeler and don't have to be stuck to beginner areas (that I know a lot of the snorkel tours in other countries I've been to) that a lot of boats will take you to. I'd like to go on a tour that takes you where there are big creatures such as turtles, rays, and sharks. I'd LOVE to see a shark. I saw one in the Keys this past year and it was about 6 feet long, and while it was kind of intimidating seeing something my size in the water, it was also mesmerizing!

I also don't really care for the whole Iguana thing that some seem to take you on. I've seen tons and tons of iguana's before so that doesn't mean much to me. The whole conch farm thing also doesn't seem that neat to me. But I do like the ones that also take you out to remote beaches to just hang out for a bit too.

Also, I definitely want to go on one that has the endless rum punch as it seems quite a few do. Snorkeling with a little bit of liquid courage in me always enhances the experience a bit.

From the research I've done it sounds like Sun Charters is pretty good. The Caicos Dream Tours also seems pretty decent.

Does anyone recommend any specific trips that kind of meet this criteria? If there were some that are actually focused on seeing bigger creatures such as sharks that would also be awesome.

Thanks.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkel tour?

I say Island Vibes all the way, outstanding rum punch and it's bottomless. Shaun is the best captain, so much fun. Jumping off their diving board is a perfect way to end the trip! Just be aware the snorkeling is at the beginning of the half day tour, but I don't blame them. Sending folks in the water after 3 hours of the rum punch may be considered dangerous.

Here are some pics of our IV adventure from last summer. Just scroll down. You may even see Tewks in the water after performing his famous triple back flip off the diving board!

https:/…

http://islandvibestours.com/

Edited: 01 May 2014, 20:07
MD
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkel tour?

Great pictures you have up there!

I'll look into them. How many snorkel spots did you go to and did you see anything big? Although, I do realize what you see also is a big luck of the draw.

On another note, that one beach that is really shallow very far out, is that Chalk Sound? That area looks very neat and I'd definitely like to check it out and spend some time at that area.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkel tour?

For the half day there is only one snorkeling spot. The web site gives good descriptions of the different tours. The full day does a lot more snorkeling.

That shallow water is Taylor Bay, a must when exploring the island. There are 7 pics of Chalk Sound before TB. Both are located in the same area.

MD
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkel tour?

Ah okay awesome thanks for the info. I'm renting a car and definitely plan on checking out that area. I hope the weather when we go is as good as it looks like it was on your trip!

houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best snorkel tour?

I'm kind of looking for the same thing you are. I've learned that the real or "pure" snorkeling locations are West Caicos, French Cay, Molasses Reef, etc. I think Big Blue and Caicos Adventures are the only two that go over there and it depends on the weather or wind for the day. Big Blue is about double the price too, not sure why but look both them up

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best snorkel tour?

Big Blue Unlimited is the way to go! I swear I promote them so much on here but I was like you, I wanted to see a shark. On our last stop with Big Blue we got in and sure enough...there were reef sharks! Such a cool experience and I can't wait to go back out with them. We've been out with three different tour companies and Big Blue was by far the best, in my opinion. Small group, nice boat, awesome crew!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
893 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best snorkel tour?

GroversMamma - where were you when you saw the reef sharks?

MD
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best snorkel tour?

GroversMamma - which snorkel trip did you take with them? They offer quite a few, and their first one says it's in pretty shallow water too. Also did they offer any alcoholic beverages? I don't see any mention on the site. Their prices seem high too compared to others.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best snorkel tour?

I would assume G-Mama was on Big Blue's "edge of the banks snorkel tour". I am signed up to take that tour in a week or so. It is an all day (7-8 hours on the water) tour with multiple stops. They take you to West Caicos, South West Reef and French Cay. Literally to the "edge of the banks" on the south side of the island. From what I have been told, this is not a party boat atmosphere and Big Blue's web site states that this excursion is "not for beginners."

Shelbyville, Indiana
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best snorkel tour?

I'm Groversmomma's mom and it was Big Blue 's Edge of the Banks full day snorkel trip that we saw sharks. Last snorkel stop near West Caicos. We are doing this trip again on May 16. They didn't provide alcohol but I'm not sure if they allow you to bring your own. You could ask via email.Honestly I enjoyed the boat ride out and back (45 mins each way maybe) as much as the snorkeling.