We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happened to Bight Reef?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
243 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
What happened to Bight Reef?

We moved from Alexandra down to Windsong to be able to snorkel Bight Reef easily. In the 4 years since we've been here it's gone from a pristine, fish filled reef to about 80% dead. We were heartbroken as we have pictures of it being so beautiful! Was it stuck by a hurricane or is that just damage from over use? Grace Bay is still spectacular as always, but yikes! We so love it here this is a real shock.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

It has been three years since we have been and hate to hear it, snorkeling is what we love to do best. I guess it's back to the Caymans.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

You (not you personally, but royal you-- tourists) are what happened to it.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
9,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

It was beautiful in 1985. DR. JIM

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

People feed the fish. I've seen some feeding cheese whiz amoung other things to the fish. Can't be healthy for the reef never mind humans.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

I saw someone feeding a granola bar onetime. Sheesh.

I hate to say that there are plenty of other beautiful places to snorkel and you don't have to go to Caymans Peaches (I grew up in Dunwoody btw), but I will refrain since I like the counter tourism aspect.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

Tourists.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

joebwan, I am open to any and all suggestions. Are we still talking T&C? I first went in the early 80's when there was just Club Med and JoJo and returned in 1989 for my honeymoon and have been every 2 to 3 years since that time. I don't mind taking a boat . I have tried to find Smith's reef a dozen times but I just can't seem to find the dang thing. If we go back this year, I am gonna hire a local to swim and find it for me!!! I have been on multiple tours (Caicos Dream and Island Vibes), but enjoy going from shore too.

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

I think a combination of a lot of things. Tourists, not all, just fools that stand on it and disregard the ropes. Hurricanes, and dredging. I hope it's not really 80% dead?

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

If you are comparing to what is was 20 years ago ("the second best on-shore snorkeling reef in the world"), then it is more than 80 percent dead. If you are talking 5-6 years ago comparison, then yeah... 80%

NH
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What happened to Bight Reef?

I agree, dashnj. People are likely contributing a great deal to the killing of reefs...all over the world. But sand and silt from storms and dredging also are factors. ...And according to some, ocean temps are getting warmer.

You have to have a license to drive a boat...you should have to pass a coarse to snorkel. Most people simply have no idea how fragile the beautiful ocean coral is. ...You don't know what you don't know. Education is, at least, part of the answer.