We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eagle rays

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
577 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
eagle rays

We snorkeled Smith's Reef this morning from the central entrance to the west entrance. Saw lots of fish and a small turtle, but no rays of any kind. I know from past snorkeling that some fish stay in the same area day after day, and I wondered if the eagle rays have a favorite place to hang out. I think they are so beautiful swimming, and I'd like to increase our chances of seeing some this week. Any experience out there?

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eagle rays

Snorkel often as the sea life is forever changing on reefs.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eagle rays

Eagle rays are travelers. However, sting rays are often resident.

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
577 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eagle rays

I saw 2 eagle rays in the section of Smith's Reef where they have the concrete markers. Beautiful!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
290 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eagle rays

We saw 2 of the rays at Smith's Reef the first time we snorkeled it. We later saw one of them alone. They are huge! We went back another day and never saw them.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: eagle rays

That big one is probably "RAY". I usually see him most the time. I feel glad when I see him and kind of sad when I don't. DR. JIM

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
954 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eagle rays

I got his picture, now I know his name - https://flic.kr/p/eRpcBg

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: eagle rays

Great picture! Thanks for sharing!

Somerset, NJ
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eagle rays

I saw that same fella at Smith Reef in October..should have introduced myself!

9. Re: eagle rays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:17