We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good excursion for 7 year old?

Oak Park, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good excursion for 7 year old?

We are here in Provo and are trying to decide whether or not to do a 1/2 day snorkel tour. We have a seven year old who is a beginner snorkler, so I don't know if he could handle it. We're going to go to Bight Reef, Taylor Bay, Sapodilla Bay and Chalk Sound. Would renting kayaks from Neptune Villas/Las Brisas be suitable with a seven year old?

Paradise Scooters
Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Equipment Hire
Ocean Outback
Sightseeing Tours
Silver Deep
Sightseeing Tours
Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good excursion for 7 year old?

Take him on the Underwater Explorer(semi-submarine)@ Turtle Cove to see 3 different reef areas. About an hour tour that is live narration as sea life presents itself. DR. JIM

Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good excursion for 7 year old?

2 years ago, took our 7yr old daughter at the time, (with her 9yr old sister) on a snorkel trip over to West Caicos.

Pushed them off the side of the boat and they had a blast.

The highlight for our 7 yr old was seeing a 5ft reef shark swim into view, and take a right turn around a coral head, and then disappear off into the distance.

She looks forward to getting back in the water every time we are there to try to repeat the experience.

Kids follow in their parents foot-steps.

If you hop in the water, free dive down to scout around and look at stuff, the kids typically follow.

Caught my 9yr old following me diving down 20ft to snorkel under some coral arches a couple years back. Again, having a great time.

So +1 on taking the 7yr old on a snorkel trip.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good excursion for 7 year old?

I had the same question last year regarding my 7 year old son. He's a strong swimmer but not so experienced snorkeling in the middle of the ocean- especially with fins. We took the half day snorkeling trip with Caicos Dream Tours. The guide could not believe the fact that Cooper, my son, was by his side the entire time- he kept up, dove down under a coral reef, and even had to be calmed down a bit because he was doing everything the guide was, he was even go pro'ing for us- and wanted more! He had to wear a flotation device, but snapped it off a few times to go deep. Other than the usual parental instinct of making sure your kid is safe in the water with 20 other people, we loved it. I would, however, recommend a private charter if you can do that- that leaves behind the chaos of a splashing crowd of people around you.

My vote is the snorkel trip.

4. Re: Good excursion for 7 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:16