We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

PORT JEFFERSON NEW...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

Hi all!

I have a question regarding whether I can bring frozen meat and seafood in to TC? It would be in a check in bag. I have brought drygoods in before, never frozen. Also, I am a diabetic and need my insulin, has anyone ever had a problem going through customs with injector? I was recently dxd, so I am unsure. Thank you in advance!

Helen

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

There are many posts on the forum regarding bringing in food. Here's one from a few days ago. Others can be found by using the search function at the top of the page.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147399-i213-k7551…

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

YES to frozen packaged meat. Seafood(Lobster has to be in season-currently it's not) probably the same. Insulin has to be injected, so that's the accepted route of introducing it into your body. DR. JIM

PORT JEFFERSON NEW...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

Thank you Dr.Jim ! I can do without the frozen food, but I am more concerned with my injector pens. I think I should call Jet Blue and ask them what is required so I can bring them in my carry on.

If I bring lobster from home , this should not be a problem, I hope? Was thinking of bringing some frozen seafood and steaks. I would imagine it should not be a problem as a check in item.

Has anyone encountered problems with customs if they are in their original packaging and clearly marked?

One more week..

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

We've never had an issue bringing in meat, cheese etc. We always declare and have never once been asked or checked.

However, since it's not lobster season, you're not allowed to bring in lobster from home. It does seem to be a strange regulation since the lobster isn't from TCI...but I don't write the rules!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

Atropens, Sharps disposal containers, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, epipens, infusers, Accu-Chek FastClix, finger prickers, lancets, etc. are all okay to bring through Airport security. Just make sure you have them in their proper labeled packing and documentation/script from your Doctor. Now If they give you a hard time about it or attempt to take it from you? Inform them you will go into anaphylactic shock on the plane because they probably don't know about hypoglycemia(doesn't sound serious) and besides anaphylactic shock sounds scarier and gets their undivided attention. Maybe get their supervisor involved? You have rights, it's up to them to prove you wrong. DR. JIM

Edited: 21 June 2014, 03:11
USA,NJ
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

Hi,

Last year, for the first time, we brought a cooler filled with meat, butter and cheeses. Although our destination was not T&C(U.S.V.I), I was surprised at how well it worked. Our local Amish butcher was able to vacuum seal the meat, we packed it and added many cheeses( Roquefort, petit basque Comte, goat etc...) as well as butter. Everything was still frozen( refrigerated for cheeses) when we arrived at the house( after transfer to ferry, then picking up car, up to our final destination). I had bought a soft cooler(lighter) found on a major site( not sure I can say the name).

Because it was so easy we are going to repeat the experience this year.

Cordially,

Val.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

Last year we brought a carry-on, soft-sided cooler with meat and a few other items and we didn't have any trouble getting into Provo but we were stopped by security at Chicago O'Hare airport. They confiscated a tub of butter. It had been frozen but had started to thaw and we were told that it was a "gel" and therefore had to be less than 3 oz and in a zip top bag. The agent said that if she could squeeze it then it qualified as a liquid or gel. They didn't give us any trouble about the frozen meat, frozen egg beaters, or dry goods (ground coffee, pringles).

We have brought food into several Caribbean locations (Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Provo, etc.) without problems but it is a good idea to leave the items in the original plastic-wrapped packages showing the labels. Don't bring packages wrapped in brown or white butcher paper because the customs agents will want to see what is inside. Also freeze the meat solid.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 20:21
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
585 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

We got through customs with our frozen meats today...didn't even even ask us anything about it. I just wrote down what we have on the form and away we went. My partner travels with her insulin pen all the time, never an issue.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 06:18
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

Hi beachbleach, are you back in T&C? Lucky you! Are you staying at RWI again?

When you brought the food in today did you go through the "something to declare" line at the airport? I can't remember but I think that's what we did last October and we actually got through customs quicker than the "nothing to declare" line.

Since we were at RWI and had a full kitchen it was a real cost savings to bring in a small amount of food and supplement it from the grocery store. We still had lots of opportunities to go out and enjoy local restaurants but eating out 3 meals a day on Provo is very expensive!

We also picked up some liquor at the duty free store at our connecting airport before we left the US. That worked well, but next time we will probably just buy the local Bambarra Rum. It was very good and inexpensive. But I know that isn't an issue for you.

Have fun!

Edited: 22 June 2014, 15:21
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing frozen food in check in bag, is this allowed?

We got here Friday and brought 2 large suitcases packed with food and a small one with frozen meat, cheeses. Not a problem, not even a question.

Also, my son's friend carried his insulin and again, nothing. I was worried about all of this and honestly, it was a non issue.