We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

We will not be renting a car upon arrival in Provo, though we anticipate doing so sometime later in our fifteen day stay, for only 2 or 3 days most likely. Therefore, I am wondering if there is any need to have prearranged airport pick-up or is it just a matter of choosing one of the many taxis that I am assuming will be waiting for fares from the newly arrived visitors? Are there certain companies or taxis that should be avoided or chosen over others? Are prices all over the map or are they fairly comparable from taxi to taxi? Thank you in advance. (from what I have been reading, perhaps we should be looking for a boat instead of a taxi! We arrive next week so hopefully the floods will have dissipated and everything nice and dry by then!)

Beverly...
Level Contributor
273 posts
580 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

I asked the same question when I stayed at the Sands last year, and was told there were plenty of taxis. Upon leaving the terminal, there was a man waiting at the taxi stand who asked which resort I was going to. I told him, and he put me in a waiting taxi. It seemed they were grouping people with resorts close to one another. We left in about 5 minutes. They are fairly large vans, so may make a couple of stops on the way to your resort. I think all of the companies charge the same fare, but make sure you confirm when you get in. I'm sure others can answer in more detail!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

I just returned Friday from a week at the Sands and had the same experience as lirwin13. As soon as I exited the terminal I found some men arranging vans with passengers based on where each were staying. When I said the Sands I was sent into a van with about five or six others and we were all dropped off at two or three resorts near the Sands. Was pretty quick and painless - aside from me (alone) having to pay $33 one-way.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

Thank you lirwin13 and zzzoey for your response. I am wondering if a "regular" taxi would be cheaper than the van option or if that is even an option? I asked the question because I have been to some places such as Costa Rica and Mexico where some info indicated that for various reasons, we should avoid certain taxis. So I just wondered if this was a concern in Provo. Price- wise, it would seem to me that being transported by a van that has several other people and stopping at more than one place would charge less than a more "private" taxi with just one couple and making no other stops. At any rate, I at least know that the van option is a common one used by other people arriving in Provo. May I ask if either of you also used the van option for your return to the airport upon leaving? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Beverly...
Level Contributor
273 posts
580 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

I think the most common taxis are vans. I don't remember seeing many small taxis on the island. There were always taxis waiting at my resort; I assume they wait at all of the resorts, especially around peak departure times. I did not take one back to the airport as I had rented a car mid-trip and returned that to the airport when I left.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,483 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

Overall, and I sound like a broken record, rental car will cost a lot less in the long run

Having said that, if you still insist on taxi, there are plenty when walking out of the airport

In 15 days you'll need a small fortune for taxi, not so much for rental car

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

Thanks again for sharing your helpful info. It is great to have a place where "newbies" to Provo can as questions and get responses from those who have actually "been there, done that"!

Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

Taxi or van - cost will be the same

Driver will charge $28 total for two persons from airport to The Sands. Confirm with driver before you get in. This is the current rate. (To be clear, driver will also charge $28 for one person). $28 is the minimum charge.

As others have said, you will be directed to the available taxi/van service for The Sands Resort once you are outside of the airport.

You will probably go directly to The Sands or perhaps at the most one or two stops along the way. No problem. Such a short distance anyway.

If you are the only passengers you might ask about a quick stop at an IGA along the way providing you know what you want to pick up and can do it quickly. Otherwise once you are at The Sands it is a 15 minute walk to the IGA or a 4 minute complimentary bike ride. Best idea is to unpack at The Sands and enjoy a drink./snack/lunch./ dinner at onsite restaurant Hemingways.

Enjoy

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

Thanks Repeater for the additional info. We are booked at the Alexandra --so I am wondering if that is near the Sands? We are hoping that it is close to enough good restaurants and grocery store that we will be able to walk to many without having to utilize a taxi (after dark, depending on where we are, we might take a taxi back and if we need to pick up many groceries we would no doubt use the services of a taxi). I am glad to have the info regarding the airport pick-up upon arrival. I should also have asked about leaving--should one reserve the taxi back to the airport a day or two ahead of departure? Is it generally easy to get a taxi back to the airport by calling just a short while before you are ready to leave or should that be booked ahead? Will a taxi reliably show up at the designated time on departure day? I know you have no way of knowing what will happen in our case but just wondered what others' experience has been . Thanks again.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
273 posts
580 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

I would double check with your hotel, but there were always plenty of taxis parked outside the Sands waiting to pick up. They seemed to be coming frequently during the busy departure times (late morning to early afternoon). Your hotel can arrange to be sure a taxi is available, so I don't think you'd need to worry about it yourself. The Alexandra is just down the beach from the Sands, and there are several restaurants within walking distance.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
496 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it necessary to have pre-arranged airport pick-up ?

We used Majestic Taxi and they included a free dinner ride for one of the nights during our stay. They were very friendly and helpful with dinner recommendations. I think they let you decide between dinner transportation one night or a stop at the grocery store. But since we were at OCW which is right across the street from Gracway Gourmet, they suggested we use them for dinner. We will use them again when we return, highly recommend them.