We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VI - Expensive??? Which Caribbean Island???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
VI - Expensive??? Which Caribbean Island???

Hi

Have been trying to decide which Caribbean island for my wife and I to go to in mid-October (mid-twenties, not into night life, but love snorkeling, beach, shopping). Looking at Antigua, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Aruba, & Cayman Islands... and now the US Virgin Islands. We've been to Hawaiian islands the past couple of years, but are looking at spending a little less and closer, but still want some place really nice.

The flight to St. Thomas is the cheapest compared to the other islands mentioned and the hotel prices are about average. How about the dining and things to do... are they expensive? (of course it's all relative), but heard Cayman Islands and Barbados were a little bit higher priced for touristy things.

How do the Virgin Islands compare with the rest of the Caribbean?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VI - Expensive??? Which Caribbean Island???

The first thing that hit me with your post is how much we paid for beer in Grand Cayman....wow! Liquor and beer in the VI's is definetly alot cheaper.

Dining is more expensive then here is PA. I see you're from Canada, so I don't know the prices up there.

If we can get a burger at a local pub around here for around 6.00-7.00, it will cost you 10.00-12.00 in the VI's. That's about the only thing I can come up with. Knowing that it will cost you more then the states before you go is important. Also, not sure how expensive your taste buds are.

Doing things in the VI's? Again, what do you like to do? Snorkeling/beaches are free if you go off the beaches and there's some great ones. STJ will cost you more then STT in general, but you get what you pay for.

If you're interested, I'd suggest renting a Villa, which alot of people do. You have the advantage of having a kitchen, which we love for cooking some things and for the refrigerator (drinks!). Go to vrbo.com and look around..that's a start. Some beautiful ones for a great price.

You're also close to the BVI's...absolutely breathtaking. You can go on a day trip for snorkeling because they are so close. You can hop on over to Jost Van Dyke, or Tortola, etc.

I think the US Virgin Islands is an excellent destination for anyone. I fell in love 2 1/2 years ago and I don't want to go back to where we've been before such as Jamaica, Grand Cayman, the Bahamas, Acapulco, etc.

The other thing about the Virgin Islands is the incredible mountains that just rise out of the water. It's not flat, except when you get out of the airport. The further you get away, you'll be on some roads that are crazy. It's alot of fun and the views are to die for.

There's alot of good information on this forum and there's a few other forums you may want to check out.

Do yourself a favor...go to VRBO.com, look at some of the pictures on the website of Villas and see what you think.

Check out STJ and STT and go from there.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VI - Expensive??? Which Caribbean Island???

There is actually a third USVI as well. It is called St Croix!!! and you should check it out. It is geographically separate from the other two and from the British Virgin Islands, but it is my favorite one. The food is really great, the beaches and snorkeling is very good and it is very laid back. St Croix is also less expensive than both St Thomas and St John.

The British Virgin Islands are also an excellent destination with a lot to do and everything that the USVI offers.

It depends on what you like to do the most. For example if shopping is your prime motivator, then St Thomas is your best bet, but you also have to remember that it has several cruise ships every day dumping a lot of people off to do just that.

They all have something to offer, it just depends on what you want.

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VI - Expensive??? Which Caribbean Island???

I rate and grade resorts in the Caribbean for several tour companies. When I spend my own money I go to STJ.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: VI - Expensive??? Which Caribbean Island???

All Caribbean islands are expensive. There's no way around that. They're small & most everything needs to be shipped in.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VI - Expensive??? Which Caribbean Island???

St. John is not cheap and not really for shopping. But if you like water, outdoor, snorkeling and beach, you will love it.

I find St. John, price wise, comparable to Hawaii, if not more expensive.

The only thing you will save is pretty much the airfare, but that also depends on which side of the continent you live. :p

6. Re: VI - Expensive??? Which Caribbean Island???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 18:16