We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

What and where are the supermarkets that offer the best deals/sales and cheapest prices for basic items like fruits, veggies, bottled water, cereals, milk, bread, eggs, snacks etc.?

Where can I get the best deals on liquor?

There will be no ships in port at all next month when we will be visiting STT, how will that effect the shopping areas and which attractions will be closed most definitely?

Where is the best snorkeling in STT/STJ?

Will it be possible for us to visit these STT attractions all in one day: 99 Steps, Bluebeard's Castle & Frederiksberg, Drake's Seat, Nisky Moravian Church, Mountain Top and Fort Christian?

What about on STJ can Annaberg Sugar Plantation, the Virgin Islands National Park and Trunk Bay be done in one day before the last ferry heads back to STT?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

I am curious about your comment "there will be no cruise ships in port at all next month"............When would that be and why? I am going to STJ Sept 20. Where did you get that info?

Also, I have been to STJ a couple times and think you are planning too much for one day, just my opinion.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

What area of STT are you staying on. That way, people an give you suggestions on where to shop..

We only drink Rum, Cruzan Rum. It's more then 3/4's cheaper in the Island then it is here in PA, so to us it's cheap wherever we get it.

There's good snorkeling on both Islands and everybody has their favorite snorkeling spots. On STT I Like Coki, Sapphire and Secret Harbour. On STJ, there's so many, that I suggest you do a search on this board and see what peoples opinion are. I really like Maho myself.i

You could never do all those attractions in one day. the 99 steps and bluebeards take at least 1/2 of a day. Drake's Seat is easy to get to, you just pull over and it's a beautiful view, take some snapshots and you're out of there.

Mountaintop burned down, so you can't go there now.

With all you want to do, you should just break it up during your vacation. It an get really hot depending on when you're going and I don't think you could do site seeing all day long.

Seriously, just do a search on this board and you'll get alot of information.

What about on STJ can Annaberg Sugar Plantation, the Virgin Islands National Park and Trunk Bay be done in one day before the last ferry heads back to STT?

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

I have the tentative Sept ship schedule. There are no ships on Sep 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 24, 27. The only days with more than one ship are Sep 1 and Sep 15. Most stores and attractions will be open ONLY on days when there are ships in town, so plan accordingly.

KMart and/or Cost-U-Less generally have the best prices on liquor. Fruits and veggies are no bargain here no matter where you shop, and to get something even close to being reasonably priced, you have to check Wed's paper to see what's on special. However, cabbage and carrots are always pretty affordable, so you can do coleslaw (and you'll see coleslaw on many menus if you're eating out casual).

Ft Christian is closed (has been for several years) for repairs. However, many people like to visit the fire station that's there. You might want to also visit Seven Arches Museum down the street from Govt House.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,041 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

No ships in port? Not so. Here's a link to the schedule:

havefunwithus.net/resources/cruiseships.html

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

To everyone who is asking where I got the no ships in port info from that would be vinow.com/general_usvi/…ship_schedule.php

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

How come the ship scheduling is so conflicting? Vinow says no ships, Ms411 says “Sep 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 24, 27. The only days with more than one ship are Sep 1 and Sep 15” and the link STT Resident posted also says something different. Itsconnie, I do know how to use the search function and have been lurking on the VI forums since we started planning this trip a couple of months ago, but thanks for your suggestions. We will be staying at the Elysian Beach Resort.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

FYI. The VI Now site doesn't state that there are no no ships in Sept for STT. The chart is for actual monthly arrivals (Spet hasn't happened yet) and when you select view schedule for STT in Sept. it states that info is not yet available/posted. Only the port info is posted for STX.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

Mrs...look up on the top left corner of this forum and you'll see "Search". Kind of in a green color, but keep on asking away :o)

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

Here's the WICO ship schedule (click on the link at the left.) They have the Sept. schedule up.

http://www.wico-vi.com/

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving for STT in 2 1/2 weeks lots of questions

Connie seriously if my questions annoy you so much than don't bother posting in my thread! I really don't have time for your sarcasim, I'm leaving for vacation in two weeks and I need to obtain as much info as I can before I leave so I will ask as many questions as I please, its a forum for goodness sakes!