We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ST. Thomas versus St. John

San Diego
4 posts
Save Topic
ST. Thomas versus St. John

I am planning on going to St. Thomas and ST. John on my honeymoon in July. We are gonna stay at the Marriot Morningstar in St. Thomas and Caneel Bay on St. John. We are staying for a total of nine days and are trying to decide which island we should spend more time on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ST. Thomas versus St. John

Depends on what you're looking to do. St. Thomas is busy with shopping, nightlife, etc. St. John is just plain paradise. Personally, I would rather be on St. John with a quick trip or 2 to St. Thomas for shopping.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ST. Thomas versus St. John

...you will find that once you've been to St.John there is no reason to be on St.Thomas except to catch a plane home.....

(well maybe a few reasons) but st.john is totally different....the beaches,the people,the food,the shopping etc are a lot more enjoyable and memorable so spend as much time as you can on st.john.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ST. Thomas versus St. John

Also check out the following posts which have too many replies to copy here:

Need help Planning Trip - St John (and USVI) forums, last post 12/16

Anyone going to St John, St Thomas and St Croix - USVI forum, last post 12/3

Hope this helps - also cuts down on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - lol

New Haven...
Level Contributor
258 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ST. Thomas versus St. John

Spend 3 nights at Morningstar and go into town to poke around, dine at Havana Blue one night (right at Morningstar) watch the cruise ships come in and out (Marriott is they best for this) from your balcony at MS you see them silently slip in the early morning. Go to Greenhouse in town- fantastic drinks/music AND THEN go to Caneel on St. John...because after you've been on St. John- you won't ever want to stay on St. Thomas again! :) You'll be spoiled!

Have a great honeymoon! We'll be marrying at Caneel in March and can't wait.