We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iphone usage question

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Iphone usage question

I've already read some posts regarding the iPhone and it sounds like the AT&T service is pretty good down there. I will be on St. Thomas and St. John (plan on dinghying around the northshore beaches). Does anyone have any experience with service going out anywhere? It sounds like there's no roaming charges for calls or texting. Does that also hold true for data usage? I probably won't use the phone that much there but I did save some good internet links for the virgin islands and particularly the Virgin Islands National Park. It would be convenient if I could access those periodically. Also with St. John being so close to the British Virgin Islands, I didn't want to end up picking up their signal and getting a surprise roaming charge when I got home. If anyone can share their personal experiences, that would be great.

Thanks

Water Island, St...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Iphone usage question

The AT&T nationwide plan covers use in the VI. There is no additional charge for phone or data usage. Text use is the same rate as in any of the States.

Very good coverage on land and water. If worried about connecting through a BVI tower then go to "System" / "General" / "Network" and turn Data Roaming to "Off". Just a reminder from personal experience . . . iPhones don't like being in the water . . . even just a little bit!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iphone usage question

I was in St John last month. Had some problems finding a signal with my Iphone 4 at times, especially when driving towards the North Shore beaches and at the first villa we were at over by Hart Bay/Chocolate Hole. Also when close to the BVI I ended up getting a couple text messages while not realizing that I was roaming on a BVI network. When I got the bill recently AT&T did not charge me for them though.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iphone usage question

Thanks for the input. I did know about the "data roaming - off" feature. but thanks for the reminder. That's really important when you are on a boat. There's no telling where you are going to pick up a signal.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iphone usage question

You're right about it being important to turn off the roaming when you're on a boat. I'm not fond of boats, so I was just on land the whole time. I ended up just turning my phone off when we were driving around the island and could possibly end up picking up a BVI network, I figured I was on vacation and didn't want to be bothered anyway. The kids were with us, so it's not like something back home with them could come up and I'd need to be contacted.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
640 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iphone usage question

We have At & T and generally have no problems on any of the USVI's but I noticed when we were on Hawksnest we were picked up signal from the BVI and of course my daughter called at that time it was pricy...I don't have an I phone but there is an indicator on mine that lets me know I am roaming. Good tip on the turning off roaming feature, going to look into that.

6. Re: Iphone usage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2011, 06:15