We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

FL
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

We returned on Sunday after ten amazing days on St. Thomas and St John. I hope to post a trip report soon, but for now I wonder if anyone has had a rash when returning from a VI trip, and what helped it? My rash started on my forearm on the way home. (it could have been something on the plane I suppose, flew on "Break Your Spirit Airline") The rash on my forearm has stayed even when it comes and goes in other places. It is a tiny pin dot rash, no blistering except for the occasional single raised red spot somewhere else on my body. Mostly stomach. I break out and itch like crazy, then the rash goes away. have had it on my tongue, eyelids, in my hair, inner thigh and now the back of the other arm. The forearm rash remains. These aren't bites, it is a very large area of pin dot rash.

We snorkeled every day, didn't eat anything unusual, hiked the Lind Point trail the day before we left, stayed one night in a cabin at Cinnamon Bay. I wore deet and didn't ever suffer with bites. Our condo didn't have bugs and we washed the sheets mid week anyway. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I am taking benedryl for the itch and using hydrocortisone for the rash. I will see the Dr. on Thursday, but I am really curious to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

My first thought was fire coral, but that doesn't sound like a fire coral burn.

It doesn't really sound like sand fleas either based on your description.

It could be a reaction to something that isn't specific to the USVI.

It's good that you are seeing a doctor. I hope you get some answers.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
291 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

The undergrowth to tall grasses seem to contain a natural defense that causes this rash. Calamine lotion helps heal it rather quickly. If you brushed against this undergrowth on the trail...BINGO!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

My first thought was a condition called sea bathers eruption - if you google the condition you can read about it but I'm not sure as it usually occurs on parts of the skin that was covered by a bathing suit but it might be worth looking at the photos online to see if it looks similar.

Pia

FL
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

Thanks you guys! I am going to do some reading right now. And, I will start the Calamine ASAP.

virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

Oh My!!! We just came home on Monday after 10 days at Cinnamon, no rashes thank goodness, so hopefully didn't come from there. Good luck getting to the bottom of it and wishing you relief soon.

FL
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

It is slowly fading. I actually felt sick for a couple of days, had a horrid headache, fatigue, nausea. But, today is better. Maybe I am allergic to coming home from vacation!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

Did you have a high fever - Dengue Fever is a concern here but I have not heard of anyone recently having it or any type of outbreak at all. I (believe) I had it about 4 years ago - rash, itching, high fever (104) bone/joint ache but you said you didn't really suffer from bites so I don't think it could be Dengue.....hum - hope you get to feeling better - keep us posted.

Pia

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
923 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

eek... Pia might be rigt--did you hae fever? are you sure you didn't get bitten?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

You may have gotten at home. Just get a blood test for Lyme disease. There are so man people that have it here in PA.

FL
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Returned with a rash! Any ideas?

No bites...Fever wasn't high. It is probably going to be a mystery. I am just glad that it seems to be fading and I almost feel like myself again!