We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

Michigan
Level Contributor
714 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

We are planning on visiting one of the US Virgin Islands in early April and we're trying to decide which is the best for our interests. Our plan is to rent a private home/villa. We'd like to have access to watersports, etc. during some of the days, and have access to lively restaurants and fun nightlife for some of the evenings. Any suggestions?

central Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

We have just completed 10 days on St.Thomas renting a Villa, we visited St.Croix, St. John and BVI,here is MHO. BVI is a great day trip I highly recomend Big Blue Excursions with Captain Mindy. We really did not like St. Croix. St.Johns is really layed back and easy to visit on Day Trips but a little more expensive to live on. I suggest St. Thomas as your base and rent a Villa here. Also I strongly recommend Amalie Car Rentals, they are a little more but hassle free and great vehicles. They can meet you at the airport with your car ready. Overall we think St.Thomas has the most to offer. Incedently learning to drive on the left was easy after having my wife yelling in my ear STAY LEFT. This has been fantastic.

Michigan
Level Contributor
714 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

Thanks Toomtar. We were leaning toward St. Johns but I was worried that it would be too mellow. Any specific area of St. Thomas that you might recommend? Obviously, close to the beach and town, but away from the noise, etc. (if there is such a place...).

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

There is no "s" in St John USVI

central Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

I suggest doing your homework. East end seems to be where the action is. We found it is fairly easy to drive around the Island if you stay away from downtown if the cruise ships are in. Villas in the Northend that are in gated areas are a good bet. Security is always prudent anywhere you travel. Most estates with nice villas to rent are in good areas we used VRBO to find ours and have used them all over the US and abroad. And yes it is St. John with no s, my bad. One cultural tip. Always address West Indians, which are the locals of African decent, with a greeting of good morning,good day or good night. It shows respect in this culture and it goes a long way. A Villa with at least a/c in the bedrooms is IMO a must.

central Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

You are so right, I know better about the no s

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

I also suggest you do some research on the three islands to find which one suits your group the best as the islands are all very different and each one has something to offer. I have been going to all of the VI for 30 years and personally, I like St Croix the best, along with the BVI. It is the largest island, has the gorgeous beaches and snorkeling (but St John's are the best of the three overall), has a lot to offer for activities and the best restaurants hands down. There is a lot of beach side accommodation at all price points and it is generally less expensive than the other two. Having said that, it is not for everyone and the downside is that you cannot island hop because it is geographically separate from the other islands. There is a lot of info on these forums about each of the islands so you should utilize it to find the island that is right for you.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

"Always address West Indians, which are the locals of African decent, with a greeting of good morning,good day or good night. It shows respect in this culture and it goes a long way."

Just a little amendment here. Not all locals are West Indians and not all locals are of African descent. Locals come in a huge array of colors from pale white to ebony black so watch yo' manners to all and sundry!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
121 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

Good morning, Good afternoon, Good Day, Good Evening, and Good night are good habits for all of the locals, no matter what descent in my opinion :)

central Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

Ok don't beat me up any more over this. I only wanted to try and express a cultural thing that is not done much on the main land. I'm all for being nice to all and to respect local customs.

10. Re: 2 families of 4 (including 4 teens) - which island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:17