We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're going back! I'm nervous about it :o(

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
We're going back! I'm nervous about it :o(

Last June we were vacationing for our 35th anniversary in STT on Sapphire Beach. Great condo, weather so so, but still having a great time with my best friend, my husband.

Four days into vacation I found out my Mother was in the hospital with blood clots in her lung. I panicked, and we were on a plane home the next morning. We lost out on 5 days of vacation, but I knew we did the right thing.

Husband has been itching to get back, so yesterday we booked the tickets, the same condo and we're going back in June!

The best advise I could give anybody going on a trip that can possibly take you many hours to get home to a loved one is.....buy insurance!!! It really isn't that expensive and it could save you alot of money if something happens at home. I did last time and we were able to get most our money back.

I'm so nervous though about going. Mom is still not doing that well and as the time gets closer I think my anxiety is going to explode :o(

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach
Sapphire Beach
1,620 Reviews
St. Thomas
Boston
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're going back! I'm nervous about it :o(

Make sure you read the fine print - you need a pollicy that covers pre-existing conditions for your relatives but you have to book them within a certain number of days of making your first deposit. All insurance policies are not created equal.

I hope your mother recovers and you have a great vacation.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're going back! I'm nervous about it :o(

Saffie, the insurance policy we had covered the remaining days for the condo that we had left (5) and also covered what we had to pay for 1 ticket to get back from STT to PHL. The rental company understood and charged us only for a week when we actually had 10 days rental.

So, it worked out pretty good and that's about all I was expecting, but hold on to all your paperwork for any claim.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're going back! I'm nervous about it :o(

I am talking about your upcoming trip - if something happens to your mother when you are away all policies will not bring you home because it is a pre-existing condition.

Much of the time, travel insurance is well worth it if you have a lot of non-refundable costs or have to get home and need to buy a new ticket.

I don't always get it for trips to the Caribbean, but when I go on a bigger trip I always get it and I pay extra for 'cancel for any reason' in case one of my cats gets really sick since they don't cover animals (yet).

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're going back! I'm nervous about it :o(

lol, cats...i have them too.

My Mom did have many pre-existing conditions. May of them.

I had to have to hospital release her records, which was pretty easy.

On May 24th she had a stroke and then when we were on vacation, she ended up with the blood clots in her lungs. I have 2 brothers and many friends that were watching out for her and I covered every single problem that could happen at home.

I didn't want to go but everyone assured me everything would be fine, so I went. That's why I'm so nervous about going this time.

5. Re: We're going back! I'm nervous about it :o(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 10:33