We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No alcohol on Good Friday.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,910 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No alcohol on Good Friday.

Just a friendly reminder that on Good Friday you can't purchase alcohol at any restaurant, store, bar etc until 4pm - you may drink your own alcohol purchased before Friday :)

Pia

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No alcohol on Good Friday.

Good Friday is a Christian holiday and not a Muslim, so alcohol should be available to all of the Christian faith

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,249 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No alcohol on Good Friday.

So take it up with the VI Government! It's a quirky little law but no quirkier than many others in many other jurisdictions throughout the US and the world.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No alcohol on Good Friday.

I don't think I have ever seen it enforced in grocery stores before - maybe the Licensing and Consumer Affairs Dept. has been lax OR I just didn't need to shop that day.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,249 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No alcohol on Good Friday.

It's definitely enforced in at least Plaza Extra and CostULess. Plaza and Pueblo at Long Bay used to actually drape the liquor shelves but now Plaza just has signs dotted around the store to remind people. Those who miss the signs and get to the register are nicely told that they can't have their liquor purchases rung through. As I recall, wines and beer aren't included in the ban as they don't meet the alcohol percentage limit.

Thanks for bring it up, Pia. Visitors, get your supplies in the day before or else wait until 4PM!

5. Re: No alcohol on Good Friday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:40