We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S. Virgin Islands

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
U.S. Virgin Islands

Which of the U.S Virgin Islands would be best for a 5 night stay, based "kick back and relax"???

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

All of the USVI are excellent choices for a 'kick back and relax' type vacation- great beaches and weather!

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

What type of accommodations would best put you in a laid-back, relaxed mood? What's your budget? Do you want to do water sports or just chill on a beach?

Details, please!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

Thanks for the reply. Budget is not really a problem, we're going to explore the USVI with the idea of maybe on retirement (10+ years) moving and living there for 6 months or so. For now, we're planning a 5 day trip ( Nov. 2013) to check it out. St Thomas appears to be the largest of the three (St. Thomas, St. Croix & St. John) islands. I have used this forum for trips to Moorea & Bora Bora (did that last Nov.) and for Kauai (doing that this Nov.) so I like to hear from folks who have been to the places we are look into. Any feedback is greatly appreciated...Thanks again in advance...

Eric

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

I forgot to mention, we are Hyatt, Hilton & Marriott points people and only Marriott is in St Thomas, so we are looking at the Marriott... what do you think?

Is there something, four start or so, better out there???

Boston
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

St Thomas is not the biggest - it is St Croix which is about 2X as big and there is a Marriott property which is called the Renaissance - used to be the Carambola and it is a beautiful property. I would highly recommend St Croix.

marriott.com/hotels/travel/stxbr-renaissance…

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

The Marriott would not be my pick for lodging in St. Thomas, but if you enjoy a large resort setting it might be OK for you. Is the beach quality important to you? If so, there are much better beaches on STT.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

With your only STT option being the Marriott you'll be just fine there. As is advised to all visitors, rent a car so you can get out and about to explore as there is so much to do and see. As luv4 notes there are many beautiful beaches to enjoy. The beach at the Marriott/Morningstar is perfectly adequate and only palls in comparison to others which are simply stunning! You also don't want to be stuck eating hotel food which is, well, hotel food when there are so many dining options in so many different price ranges all over the island.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

Here's a slideshow of Marriott's Morningstar Beach Property.

www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php…

The advantage STT has over STX is you can get to STJ within a 20 minute ferry ride, and Water Island within 10 minutes by ferry. You can't get to another habitable island from STX within an hour unless you fly.

There's a Ritz Carlton on STT if you want better accommodations and facilities.

A lot can happen in 10 years, so I would just enjoy the vacation and not think about whether it's a possible retirement option. The VI government is facing an even deeper financial crisis than the US, and so far there's no plan to turn things around.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

You cant go wrong with any of the three - they all have a special place in our hearts and we all have or favorite island... so ........

Keep the points for another night - the Marriott/Morningstar is fine but based on your travels ( loved Bora - Bora & Moorea ) I would do STJ hands down -

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: U.S. Virgin Islands

STT is the most commercial of the three islands. I have been to STT and STJ. My vote would be STJ by a mile but I prefer a more naturally preserved environment with remote beaches and quiet little restaurants. If you prefer resort style vacationing your choices on STJ would be minimal. I stay at private villas which by the way can be cheaper than the resorts and might give you more of a feel as to what it's like to live there. Although I have not been to STX, I follow the USVI forums and it is a highly appreciated island by those who have been there. It has many resorts that afford waterfront views. It also has two major towns and more structured things to see. STJ is an outdoor casual experience. No fancy restuarants, no suits - just flip flops and very casual attire. They are all beautiful. Just depends on your personal preference. Hope you enjoy your trip.