We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

Okay, I knew American was in bankruptcy when I booked this trip, but I didn't bank on them issuing layoff notices to an already angry workforce THREE DAYS BEFORE MY TRIP. We're flying out tomorrow (Sept 21) on an already tortuous 3-hop to STT. I am seriously apprehensive.

We do have trip insurance through CSA, but I don't know how that works if we get halfway to our destination and then our 2nd flight gets cancelled. What if there simply aren't any American flights out of Miami? If I have to rebook on a different airline, does trip insurance handle the difference?

Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?

St. Louis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

I just flew American today Miami to STT. It was delayed about an hour and five minutes.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

Good luck Dream. Hope for the best. Keep your information with you for CSA and call them with any problems.

Edited: 21 September 2012, 00:43
Boston
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

You should be covered for trip delay and some sort of cancellation but you need to read your policy and see what it covers. You can also call the insurance company and ask them so you will know what to do if anything happens.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

"You should be covered for trip delay and some sort of cancellation but you need to read your policy and see what it covers. "

*LOL* I did read the policy - that's why I'm confused. The only thing that's clear is what I have to do if I'm trying to catch up with a cruise ship that has left without me.

Well, it's 4:30 am and about time to leave for the airport. So far, no discouraging text notifications from American on my cell. Wish me luck!

Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

We fly american next week out of Baltimore . Hoping for the best & no delays on our way to St. John !!!

Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

We originally booked American to St. Croix. A couple of weeks after booking they changed our flight to a 9 hour layover in San Juan. When I called to cancel they said they would change me to a different flight that only had a 2 hour layover. Why didn't thy switch us to that flight in the first place. I told them no way did I want to fly with them, I cancelled and booked for STT instead on US Airway. And I hate US Airway.

st. croix USVI
Level Contributor
428 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

Six legs from STX to Columbus - all late. missed only one flight. We're used to it. Was worse when we were Delta people. Living in STX just makes you wonder when you're going, not if you're going.

Gotta say, those are some bees that work the check in. Not sure why, it's a cushy job. Oh well.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

Rcaep...you had six different flights? I don't think I could EVER handle that.

st. croix USVI
Level Contributor
428 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

Yes, 3 legs there and 3 legs back. Should have been more clear on that.

Since we're "married" to American, we take our segments seriously! I don't mean we go out of our way to throw in extra legs - too old for that; just saying that getting the meager perks for being in their club has made differences that we have enjoyed (upgrades, free bags, etc.).

Edited: 23 September 2012, 17:18
10. Re: Anybody else flying American? (yikes)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2013, 10:16