We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

Hi! I'm spending my honeymoon at Caneel bay, St. John in June 2013.

Does anyone have any itinerary suggestions for spending a week in the USVI? We would like to spend most of our time at the resort, but would like to spend a day at either BVI, St. Croix, or St. Thomas. Does anyone suggest visiting any or all of the other islands while I'm there? Also, what locations at these islands are worth going to or seeing during the trip? How or what is the best way to get to these other islands, ferry, excursions, other?

Any or all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
602 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

Hello from a fellow Buckeye! ...and Congratulations!! Try posting this question in the St. John forum also, you might end up with a few more responses. :)

A week is the perfect teaser to get you wanting to go back for more. There are so many beaches and things to see on St. John you could literally visit 3 a day and still not see them all. If it's your first trip, you may want to consider staying on St. John the entire time - but if you want to see another island - I'd pick only one day to leave St. John.

Ferry between STT and STJ is super easy and leaves often. Ferry between STJ and the BVI also pretty easy - leaves once a day (but not every day and varies depending on island), and limites you to roughly 4 hours in the BVI unless you want to do some sort of over nighter while you're there.

Ferry schedule here - www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

You could do a day trip with a charter company to the BVI - you'd see more than you might be able to see on your own. There are several great companies that come up often if you do a quick search on this forum (we're fans of Pirates Penney/Stormey Petrel).

St. Thomas is a whole different vibe that St. John - more hustle and bustle, cruise port - lots of shopping, easy day trip if you want to do some shopping, see the famous Megans Bay, etc.

I'd highly recommend a Jeep, even if just for part of your trip - so you have the freedom to explore. Caneel has some wonderful beaches on property - so you'll have plenty to explore there as well.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

Thanks for the suggestions. We had thought about maybe going snorkeling at Buck Island National Monument, but like you are saying I'm sure there will enough to do at Caneel Bay itself. I was just making sure I got the most out of the trip and wanted to make sure I was going to miss anything on the other surrounding islands. I will talk with my fiancé about an excursion and if that's the route she might want to take.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

St Croix is not an easy day trip, although it can be done. You have to fly to STX from STT, then make arrangements with a charter company to go to Buck Island. I would not recommend it unless you are going to spend a night on STX.

As LivandMarc said, there is plenty to do on STJ. I also agree that you should rent a jeep for at least a few days to explore the island to find out why so many of us go back as often as possible. Caneel is a beautiful property, but so is the rest of the island. It's easy to navigate the island and it is impossible to get lost (just remember to stay LEFT!)

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

The Caneel Ferry can take you back and forth to St. Thomas any time you want to go,( if you take that option, which I would recommend even though it's more expensive....it'sso much less hassle and it's your honeymoon!) and then you could explore St. Thomas.

And Caneel runs a excursion to Little Dix Bay on BVI Virgin Gorda most of the time and as far as I know it goes to the Baths, which are a highlight. Also the ride to and from is sort of fun. Then you can relax at Little Dix for the rest of the afternoon. There have been times this excursion hasn't been available so it would be best to check on that.

Most of the time it's pretty easy to rent a jeep at Caneel, but you might want to check the rates and have it pre- arranged. It's fun to explore STJ and check out Cruz Bay and Coral Bay and all the great beaches and the National Park sites. After having been there so many times, we're pretty content to stay at Caneel but there's a whole lot to see off the resort.

Have a wonderful honeymoon

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

Thanks again to everyone who responds to these forums! You guys make life easy.

The thought was we would just rent a jeep three to four days and spend most of our time at Caneel. The island looks beautiful and I'm excited just to see what St. John has to offer. It sounds like St. Croix is a little bit of a hassle so I think we are going to shy away from that. As we get closer I'm sure I will be asking more detailed questions about the island itself, like great places to eat or visit.

I do have a bunch of books that I bought from amazon all about St. John, so that has helped with some of the decision making, but it's not specific enough about the island. For starters, where is the best place to rent a car/jeep. Which place offers the best deal as far as renting a keep goes. The lowest rates I have seen is $70 a day. Is there anything better than that?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

The prices are pretty much the same at all the rental places. We use St John Car Rental most often, but have used others as well with few complaints. ie: air conditioner didn't work great, but well enough to not spoil our vacation or hassle with trying to get another one. I do suggest you rent from one that allows you to park in their lot while in Cruz Bay (although that is not a guarenteed spot).

Lewis Center
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

Been going to caneel for 14 years. Live in Ohio too. Glad to give any pointers or info. Magical place.

8. Re: Honeymoon at Caneel Bay Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 09:19