We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is day trip to BVI worth it?

Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is day trip to BVI worth it?

Originally my husband and I were going to charter a private boat, but now I don't think it's in our budget. Are group day trips to the BVIs worth it? We will only be in St John for 6 nights so we're not sure if we should give up a day. If it is worth it, does anyone have any recommendations for group charters? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is day trip to BVI worth it?

With only 6 nights, personally, I wouldn't want to leave the island. There is plenty to do on St John. Save the trip to BVI for the next trip when you have more time. Have you picked up a copy of ST John: Feet, Fins and 4WD or St John Off the Beaten Path?

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is day trip to BVI worth it?

Check on the board to see if anyone will be there same time y'all will be. If so, try to find another couple to do a private charter. Worked for us. The best day we had (kinda.. any day in stj is good.. right?)

Don't miss getting out to BVI's if u can.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,577 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is day trip to BVI worth it?

Most of the charter boats only carry 6 passengers anyway so it's not a big crowd deal and there's never a guarantee that the boat will have a full complement. You can also save money by taking the ferry:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

while the Dolphin Water Taxi service does a run to Jost Van Dyke.

Remember that you must have a valid passport to travel between the USVI and the BVI whichever route you take.

In my opinion you'll have more than enough to do staying on St John and will still only see about a quarter of what's to enjoy there!

Mentioned in this post
Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke
British Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is day trip to BVI worth it?

I did get both of those books ... Haven't read them yet though. Thanks for all the info!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is day trip to BVI worth it?

You didn't say if you have been to the USVI before or not, but IMO you should get a taste of the BVI by doing a charter or excursion. Most powerboat excursions will take you to Tortola and the Baths, and/or Norman/Cooper Island/Indians and most include a stop on Jost Van Dyke at either Foxy's or Soggy Dollar.

We have been many times and almost always commit a day to the BVI's, now we focus on a single location via ferry and find ourselves on JVD at White Bay more often than not.

Mike in Tulsa

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Cooper Island
Cooper Island
British Virgin Islands
Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke
British Virgin Islands
Middletown...
Level Contributor
295 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is day trip to BVI worth it?

The private charter was easily the beat day in 10 spent. Caribbean VIBE was great and we will do again.

Would not consider the bigger boats of 20 or more. This was private holding upto 6. We had 4 and had we been asked to share with 2 others we would have. Worth contacting a few and seeing what they can do

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is day trip to BVI worth it?

We went on the Bad Kitty and had a great time. The Baths were cool, we stopped at great snorkeling spot, had lunch in the BVI somewhere and went to the Soggy Dollar Bar. It was a bit whirlwind, but lots of fun.

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
193 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is day trip to BVI worth it?

at least get over to the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost!!!

9. Re: Is day trip to BVI worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 05:16