We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another question about fresh seafood

PA
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Another question about fresh seafood

I was reading on the St. John board that many people said the "fresh" seafood you can purchase to cook yourself isn't necessarily fresh or local and may even be 'dangerous.' Apparently quite a bit of it is frozen and imported from elsewhere and a large percentage of what is fresh is reef fish which is not a good idea to consume.

Does anyone know for sure what types of seafood I'll be able to find that is fresh, local and good quality? I have to do all my cooking in, so this is super important for us to find out about ahead of time. Also, what are prices like?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another question about fresh seafood

If you stick to tuna and mahi mahi, you will be fine. We went deep sea fishing one year and catch 2 big mahi. A 28 lb and a 40 lb! We kept 7 steaks & the captain kept the rest to sell. Another trip all we caught was 1 tuna that was just big enough to feed the 4 of us (LOL). Go to the dock when the boats come in and see what they have.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,563 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another question about fresh seafood

I wouldn't have concerns about buying reef fish caught by local fishermen. There are some reef fish which carry ciguatera but the local fishermen have been doing what they do for generations and know where and what to catch! As far as frozen versus fresh, it's true that a lot of the fish sold here both retail and in restaurants has been previously frozen but in most cases I'd defy anyone to tell the difference between the two.

PA
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another question about fresh seafood

Thanks for your responses. The problem with frozen seafood is that it oftentimes has preservatives on and also has a high histamine content and for those of us who are sensitive to those things or have food allergies it can be a major problem :(

I can tell immediately if seafood I'm eating is fresh or not and it has nothing to do with the taste!

4. Re: Another question about fresh seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:15