We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Done with Mexico

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Done with Mexico

I've been to Cancun and Riviera Maya a total of five times, plus a cruise stopover in Cozumel. I think I'm done with Mexico for a while. I'd like to try some other places in the Caribbean. Something not too expensive. I was spending between $2500-$3000/couple for a Cancun vacation, including air. If you have been to Caribbean resorts, do you have any suggestions, preferably all-inclusive?

Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,551 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Done with Mexico

All-inclusives are rare in the USVI. There is one on St Croix, The Divi. A couple of places on St Thomas offer it as an option, and none on St John. Most people rent a vehicle and get out and explore on their own and options for places to eat are many. It's easy to island hop between STT & STJ and the BVI.

We pay between $550-$700pp for airfare from Ohio, but if you can get a direct flight to STT from Philly, that would save you some. A rental vehicle is another $400-$500/wk. Do some research here on places to stay. Look on VRBO too, but expect to pay $200+/night (low season) and that doesn't include food. We budget around $125-$150/day for food and drinks when we do meals out.

Level Contributor
6,718 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Done with Mexico

The above numbers are for STJ (I believe) which is the most expensive of the three islands. You can stay on St Croix or St Thomas for less than that. We go to St Croix and spend less than $200 per night for accommodation on the beach and much less than that for a car. I think it is less than $40/day. You really need to do a bit of research to determine which of the islands interests you as they are very different. I would go to the individual forums and have a look around. There are also several threads that compare the three islands.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Done with Mexico

All inclusives tie you to the resort, but the Virgin Islands have always been about exploring on your own off the resort. You have the freedom to eat where and when you want at a price that's within your means.

What's the most important all inclusive feature for you? All inclusive resorts offer water toys and entertainment as part of the package. If entertainment and activities are important to you, consider a resort that has a daily activities calendar. I've seen the calendars from Sugar Bay and Bolongo and they may be available on line. If not, call and ask them to send you a copy.

St Croix is the most affordable Virgin with many small hotel options, but St Thomas has more guided excursions thanks to the cruise ships. St John is mostly national park with more undeveloped beaches and hiking trails.

Hopefully one of our islands will appeal to you!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,363 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Done with Mexico

There are beachfront studio condos at Sapphire Beach resort and Marina (gorgeous beach) to be had for less than $200/night. Check www.vrbo.com for listings. You don't need a 4WD vehicle for St Thomas nor for day trips to St John on the car barge and a compact will cost you far less.

The Sapphire webcam has been stuck for several days now but you can still see how lovely it is:

5. Re: Done with Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 06:18