We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferries/logistics

the windy one
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ferries/logistics

Hi, I'm planning a trip to the virgin islands and it's really coming up soon. Just wondering about transportation between islands. We were planning to go to tortola for two days (flying into St. Thomas and staying in St. John- 5 days- but I'm realizing that there doesn't seem to be a car ferry between the two islands. Would it not be worth it to go to another island for just two days considering I'll need to return and then rent another car. I'm considering I'll need to take a taxi with luggage to car rental location and then to the ferry. The only option seems to shorten our trip or stay on St Thomas for a couple extra days instead because availability in St. Johns is so limited.

What do you think? Too much of a hassle to go to Tortola for two days? Should I just stay on St. Thomas (for convenience) or keep looking for a couple additional days availability in St. Johns or go to tortilla anyhow for two days and then return to St. Thomas to catch our flight back?

Edited: 25 November 2013, 20:31
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ferries/logistics

I guess I would just take a Taxi from STT to the ferry to St John, rent and drop off there, then ferry to Tortola and rent/drop there before taking ferry back to STT for departure. I'd rather a few days on Tortola then STT.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferries/logistics

There is a car barge between STT and STJ, but not to Tortola. If you are renting your car on STT, they will meet you at the airport and take you to their office. As long as you don't rent from Hertz you can take it over to STJ. No taxis involved. If you are renting you vehicle on STJ, then you will need to take a taxi to the ferry dock on STT. Nearly all the rental companies are an easy walk from the ferry when you arrive on STJ.

I would save the trip to Tortola for another time since your trip is so short. Look on VRBO and www.Caribbeanvilla.com for your two additional nights. You can plug in your dates and they will show you what's available.

If you haven't already, get your vehicle reserved YESTERDAY!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferries/logistics

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You are flying into St Thomas, renting a car, taking it to St John via red hook ferry, staying on St John for 5 nights. Your asking if it is worth the hassel to try to do two nights on Tortola....since that would involve taking the car ferry back to St Thomas to return the car and then take a ferry to Tortola. Then you would have to take the ferry back to St Thomas on day 7 to catch a flight. Is that correct?

If so, that does seem like a lot of logistics for two nights on Tortola, but I've done similar things. A couple things to remember. When you move from one location to another you will lose all of that day since you have to be out of most places no later than 11am and cannot check in most places til 3pm. So that day is shot. So you will really only have one full day at on Tortola since you will have to be out early on the second and last day. Typically we try to do no less than 4 nights at any one location if we plan to stay at mulitiple locations.

Taking a car back to St Thomas will only eat up more time on the day of transfer. If you really want to try and pull it off, I might suggest renting a car on St John. Yes it is a bit more expensive but time is money so you will be way ahead in the satisfaction department. If you do this, then you can ferry directly from St John to Tortola after checking out of St John hotel/villa and be at your Tortola hotel/villa earlier if nothing else to drop your stuff (hotel). Renting a car on Tortola depends on where your staying. A stay that short might be better off with a taxi.

Don't forget to figure ample time to ferry from Tortola to St Thomas for you flight home. Hopefully it is at least a mid afternoon flight. If not that might be another logistic problem all in itself.

Mike in Tulsa

Edited: 25 November 2013, 21:20
the windy one
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferries/logistics

Yes! Only If we stayed in St. Thomas and then went to St. John I think it would make sense to rent and return the car to St. Thomas (Rather then rent/return & rent/return)? But if we went to Tortola and then St. John we would have to rent/return a car in Tortola and rent/return the car in St. John and ferry to St. Thomas for trip home.

Maybe it might be more practical to spend two or three nights in St. Thomas and then go to St. John? I'll have to research the possibility of maybe boat day trips or something if we stay (are stuck) in St. Thomas. Would spend the entire time on St. John but options are really limited for the dates I need.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 22:11
the windy one
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferries/logistics

Also thanks for the rental villa link. Turned up a couple places I hadn't come across before. Cool!

Edited: 25 November 2013, 22:24
6. Re: ferries/logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16