We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO, what to look for!

houston, TX
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO, what to look for!

We will be heading to St. Thomas / St. John in mid march or mid April for our honeymoon. We have been advised to rent a condo/villa since it's cheaper, and we really aren't picky, we don't mind cooking a few days (I think it can be romantic) and would love to try the restuarants and bars!

Now the question! Neither of us have been to the Virgin Islands, and that being said, I don't know what to look for in a vacation condo off of VRBO. What's the weather like in march/April? Would we need AC?

I know St. John is a small island, should we stay on a certain side of the island vs. another?

Also, we would LOVE to go to The BVI, I heard the baths a a must see site! However, is a dat trip sufficient? Should I look for a place to stay the night so we can explore more??

I know a car is a must on St. John! So I'll look into that!

I just need general tips! We don't know what we are getting ourselves into :) would love to know must see sites for both St. John and BVI, must eat places, bars to visit.

We are excited for our honeymoon and I want it to be an amazing vacation!!

West Frankfort...
Level Contributor
554 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO, what to look for!

Both st Thomas and St. John are pretty small islands ( can get just about anywhere in 30 min). Look at pictures and pick a place that suits your taste and price. I think weather is great year round (80's )Get one with an awesome view! There are so many beaches to visit that it doesn't matter too much where you stay. I think the BVI day trip is perfect. We took one from sapphire marina (new horizons) and it took us to the baths, snorkeling, a lunch stop, and to soggy dollar bar. Best day of our vacation! I believe they also pick up in St. John. I don't know much about where to stay in St. John, but the Cruz Bay Area has a lot of neat shops and restaurants and bars, so if you stayed somewhere in walking distance (like grande bay) you could get around on foot at night easily without having to park or worry about drinking too much. Some people prefer the villas high up with killer views. I also think staying at the Ritz in st. Thomas would be awesome. Looks like a beautiful view and pool and grounds. Something like that would be good if you wanted a full service resort instead of just a condo. It is a tad expensive though. Really you can't go wrong - both islands are beautiful and there are many things to do and see. If you like to snorkel, there are tons of beaches you can snorkel right off the beach. :)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
416 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO, what to look for!

Here are the questions that are going to make a difference in general:

1. What's your budget?

2. Are your dates flexible?

3. What are your must-have vs. nice-to-have amenities (pool, hot tub, wifi, cable/satellite, bed size, number of rooms)?

4. How much time do you think you're going to spend at your rental property? Are you active people who expect to spend a lot of time on the go, or do you think you might spend a day or two just relaxing at your villa?

5. Do you expect to cook often, or do you think you'll just need a kitchenette?

And here are some St. John specific questions:

1. Are you more interested in convenience or solitude? If you want to be close to all of the action--restaurants, bars, stores, excursions, ferries--you may want to stay in or near Cruz Bay. If you want a quieter vacation, Coral Bay or a mid-island location may work better for you.

2. How comfortable are you with driving up and down extremely steep, twisty roads on the wrong side of the road? Most people adjust quickly, but your results may vary. I know of some properties that many of my more phobic friends could never reach or stay in, since some of the most amazing places on the rock feel like you're suspended in mid-air.

3. What are your favorite activities? Are you snorkelers, hikers, beach bums, kayakers, sailors, or all of the above?

It can be a really difficult decision, particularly since St. John has a range of properties from around $100 to many thousands of dollars per night. If you provide a few basic things like price range and amenities, I'm sure many of the extremely knowledgeable and helpful people on TripAdvisor can help.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO, what to look for!

March is high season. April is low season, so you might want to consider that when you decide on your dates. AC in the bedroom is a must for us. Grande Bay, as mentioned gives you the ability to walk to everything in Cruz Bay. Gallows Point is another. Whether you choose a villa or a condo is up to you & your budget. We have always traveled with others (except once) so we rent a villa. A must have for us is an awesome view, a pool & AC in BR's. We cook all breakfasts and half our dinners, so a decent size kitchen is a must too. We also pack our lunches everyday for the beach.

There is no right or wrong side to stay on STJ. We prefer the Cruz Bay side to be close to everything where others perfer the quietier side of Coral Bay. It is a personal preference. One thing to note that if you stay on the Coral Bay side, there is nothing in walking distance. That said, we have never stayed in a villa within walking distance to Cruz Bay either. But it's a short 5 minute drive. If you stay in Coral Bay and want to have dinner in Cruz Bay it's a 25-30 minute drive on a very dark, curvy road on the way back.

Don't limit yourself to looking on just VRBO. There are many rental management companies on STJ. Check out www.stjohnusvi.com for info on villa/condo and jeep rental companies plus lots of other great info. Happy researching and ask if you have questions!

houston, TX
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO, what to look for!

I will definitely check out he other sites! Thanks for all the info.

Based not he above comments, I think we would rather stay closer to Cruz bay. We will more than likely rent a jeep, I think it would be fun to try and hit all the beaches. But it would still be nice to walk to some places.

Our musts would be a king size bed and AC in bedroom. We live in Houston and all though we are used to he heat, it's our honeymoon and we want to be comfortable at night. I great view would also be a huge plus!

From what I've been seeing prices wise, we may spend a few days on st. Thomas and be tourists, then head over to St. John. The prices for rentals on St. John are much higher than st. Thomas so I think we will save a bit of money that way.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO, what to look for!

If you have more then a week I might suggest 3-4 nights on Virgin Gorda. I think the combination of STJ & VG is awesome. I'd skip ST Thomas unless flight schedule requires you spend a night there. But I'm generally not a fan of STT. Others on this forum will disagree. Virgin Gorda has some affordable options and I found generally less expensive ..car rental, food.

houston, TX
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO, what to look for!

Virgin gorda are where the baths are? That's something that was on our list of musts to see.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO, what to look for!

Yes, the Baths are on Virgin Gorda.

8. Re: VRBO, what to look for!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:18