We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs (all kinds)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
328 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs (all kinds)

Good Day,

I want to ask some questions about bugs and I did a search, but they were mostly 1) a person ranting about how her villa had lots of bugs and 2) people telling other people to not worry about the bugs, that was a part of island life. Ok-I do get that. My questions are a little different. I live in the Midwest, where I deal with hoards of "mossies" every summer. They are not an issue for me. However, due to the months of hideous cold, we don't have too many of the "big uglies". (scorpions, cockroaches, centipedes, big hairy spiders) Here are my questions, and I sincerely thank the folks who take the time to answer honestly. It is truly appreciated, as I am starting to worry I won't sleep while on vacation.

1) I have been raised my whole life believe that the only people who have cockroaches are people with dirty homes. However, many folks seem to be running into cockroaches in the USVI and I cannot believe they are all having dirty homes. What can I do to minimize or potentially eliminate the chance I will encounter cockroaches in my villa?

2) I have a truly paralyzing fear of centipedes. We rented closer to Cruz Bay as information I read seemed to indicate that centipedes were more in underdeveloped and rural areas. Do you think this is true? How can I be prepared/minimize or eliminate an encounter with these insects?

3) Scorpions-I am very worried about being stung while in bed at night by these. Is that a realistic fear?

Please understand that I have gone camping my whole life, have done a lot of "roughing it" kind of things, I just have done all this in the Midwest, so a black bear and some wolves were pretty much the worst of my encounters. :) Again, thank you.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,292 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs (all kinds)

I see you have been very active on this forum, but you have never been to the USVI.

We have stayed in many villas on St John and other than ants and occasionally the little lizards (4-7 inches including their tail), we have had no other issues (not counting mosquitos if you leave doors/windows open). I like the little lizards because they eat the mosquitos. Never woke up with one on me or my covers.

Take Ziplock bags to put anything (snacks, etc) fresh and ants out. Best to keep all food in the refrig.

You camp and aren't worried about bears and you're worried about hairy bugs on St John?! Remember you are bigger then them if you do encounter any in your villa or condo (very doubtful).

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
328 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs (all kinds)

You are absolutely correct, I have never been to the USVI. (But have always wanted to go) I know-it is true, I am not really afraid of bears, but I know what to do when there is a bear, but what on earth do you do if you think a scorpion is going to sting you in the middle of the night? I will keep all food in the fridge, etc... I did check with my villa owners and they confirmed that they spray every month so that is good too. Just thought I would ask if there was anything else I could do to keep the other critters at bay. I do like lizards, just not bugs. Irrational, I know. :) Thank you!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,107 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs (all kinds)

I've lived here for 30 years and only once was I bitten by a small scorpion and I've probably seen a scorpion maybe half a dozen times max. Cockroaches are a way of life here but it's not likely you'll encounter anything more than a random one, if that. Centipedes are also critters you'll be very unlikely to encounter. Where I live now is in a relatively undeveloped rural area surrounded by deep bush and I rarely see them.

Put your brain on hold and pack Deet-containing insect repellent as the worst you're going to encounter is pesky mosquitoes and, if you stay on the beach as the sun is setting, sand fleas!

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs (all kinds)

I live in the land of Asian Flying Cockroaches, and let me tell you, I am petrified of them. The thing is though - they're wood roaches. They have nothing to do with filth. They will come in for water and food.

It's German Cockroaches that indicate less-than-stellar conditions. These are the slim, disgusting ones you'll see in restaurants, etc.

If it helps - I didn't see one cockroach while I was in STJ. I did see a centipede, but I thought it was sort of cool. It was outside on our deck.

With that said, the recent Caneel review did freak me out a little. I can't even touch a photo of a cockroach. My phobia is that bad, so I get it.

5. Re: Bugs (all kinds)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 05:18