We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing question STT to Red Hook

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
674 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Timing question STT to Red Hook

Hi, we will be traveling to St. John in a few weeks, arriving on a Monday at 1 p.m. at the airport. We've traveled here before but always stayed on St. Thomas the first night so I didn't really pay much attention to how long the taxi took. This time we are heading directly to St. John. If we take the regular taxi that fills up with a bunch of people are we likely to make the 2 pm ferry? Or should we pay a little extra and reserve a private taxi? Would that even get us there for 2? We will have checked luggage.

Thanks for any info.

Sue

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing question STT to Red Hook

With checked bags I doubt if you will make the 2pm ferry. We allow 40-45 minutes for the taxi ride. Sometimes it's less, but that's just our rule of thumb. Just relax. Have a free sample on Cruzan Rum (or two, or three) as you enter the airport on the way to baggage claim. There are food and drink options at the ferry terminal. If you weren't checking bags and hired a private taxi you might make it. SOooo, do you really need all those clothes?!! Hair dryer? Curling iron? Make-up? We take 3 changes of clothes for 10-11 days. No make-up, hair dryer or other crap. With the wind, sun, and water, there just isn't any reason to take that stuff. Take a hat and ponytail holder/hairbands.

If you are checking bags just to take shampoo, suntan lotion, bug spray, etc and still have 2-3 weeks until your trip, you might want to mail a box down now (if it fits, it ships USPS box). Ask your villa/condo management co if they will let you mail it to them. If not, you can mail it to Connections (for a fee), but easier and cheaper than paying for a checked bag. I also include a small jar of peanut butter in the box. Make sure you put everything in a seperate ziplock bag before packing the box.

Have a great trip!

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
674 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing question STT to Red Hook

Thanks for the reply. I was sort of expecting the timing to be off. We actually don't over pack except that we like our own flippers, snorkels, snorkel bags, etc. we also spend hours in the water snorkeling and always get cold. So we also pack our shorty wetsuits and wetsuit tops. Wel'll just have to deal with a later time.

Thanks for the heads up on the timing.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing question STT to Red Hook

Actually, I manage to get my BC, regulator, mask, snorkel, fins, a 3mil full wetsuit and my clothes in my carry-on suitcase (not the expandable type) and a backpack (the small kind, not back-packer size). I pack every nook & crany, but I get it all in.

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
674 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing question STT to Red Hook

You are good!

5. Re: Timing question STT to Red Hook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:24