We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed??

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed??

My boyfriend and I are looking to go away for a week in March to the Caribbean. We'd like to go somewhere not too developed or too touristy. We're basically looking to relax. Maybe do some hiking, trips to the beach, snorkeling, kayaking, etc, but relaxing is really #1. We want to rent a villa - something simple b/c there's only 2 of us, but we do want it to have its own pool.

Our budget for the villa rental would be up to about $1200 for the week. I thought we'd found the perfect solution in Montserrat, but now the volcano situation there is making me nervous. Does anyone else have a suggestion of an island that would meet this criteria, and do you have a website recommendation to find a villa rental?

Also, If anyone has any thoughts on Montserrat, I'd love to hear them!

Hampton Roads, VA
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed??

I hear Monserrat is still somewhat of a mess. I have a friend that was in medical school there and says it is not too good.

St. John would be my recommendation. There are many nice villas, you may want to post for info on them ot check VRBO.com. St. John is quiet, lots of hiking, beach, everything that you are looking for and no passport needed!

RR1
Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed??

I would enthusiastically recommend St. John-especially if you want somewhere not too developed and still unspoiled. Two-third of the island is a US National Park! Gorgeous white sand beaches and turquiose waters. Just enough of small town shopping to waste a few dollars but not a commercial pit. However, villa rentals are quite pricey during the high season. I'm not sure you can find a villa with a pool for 1,200/week. We have just decided on one for April and it costs USD 4,200. We once stayed on the campgrounds in the Park. They have tents and cottages. Well, camping is not for me, but it certainly was inexpensive!

Good luck!

St. Croix
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed??

St. Croix is very laid back and relaxing - and less expensive than the other USVI. Even so, I don't think that $1200/week in March is realistic for a private villa. A nice condo would definitely work though. Scout around on www.gotostcroix.com and you'll probably find something that will do the trick. Good luck.

4. Re: Island Recommendation - somewhere not too developed??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 01:19