We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with belongings while shore diving

UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with belongings while shore diving

Hi

My husband and I are travelling to St Croix for the first time in a couple of weeks. We are renting a car and hope to do some independent shore diving.

Having read StCroix2's advice we'd hoped to go to

Frederiksted Pier

Cane Bay

Carambola

and maybe even Butler Bay but ...

I was a bit surprised (and concerned) to read the advice about leaving cars unlocked to deter theft. We'd normally put stuff out of sight but still lock the car. Do you really all think it's best to leave it unlocked? What do you do with your belongings and money while you're diving??

This is the only thing that's casting a bit of a shadow on our forthcoming holiday - I've never come across this before.

(We were in Dahab last November and you just left all your belongings by the side of the path which I was nervous about but everybody does it and nobody steals anything!).

Thanks

R

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

Hubs and I each have small floating Otter boxes with lanyards. We can fit our cells, money, keys, even a small camera in the watertight boxes. This way we just leave towels and a beachbag with stuff that wouldn't break our hearts if we lost (hairbrush, lotions, food, etc.) and and we can snorkel together when it's just us. We've used this type of thing everywhere - not just STX.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

Dive bags come in a variety of shapes and sizes and you can find them at any dive shop here if you want to wait until you arrive. Mine is like a triple-lock baggie, easily holds cash, keys, cards, small camera and keeps everything dry. Enjoy your visit!

UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

Hi both

Thanks for your quick replies.

I guess you're both saying that stuff wouldn't be safe in the car :-(

Margy, I had a look at otter boxes (hadn't heard of them before!) but I'm not sure if they'd be a bit bulky to take diving? Have you dived with one? Is it watertight even at say 30 metres?

STT Resident, can you tell me the make of the dry bag you have? I tried looking on the internet and they do have waterproof pouches but they only seem watertight to about 3m, which isn't much use. Obviously we don't want a full sized dry bag as it'd be too bulky. Any ideas?

I'm still a bit sad about the car situation - normally on holiday we keep our hiking gear and snorkelling gear in the car and just see where we end up and what we end up doing - looks like that's not a sensible option on St Croix.

Thanks for your help.

R

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

R - don't dive so I'm no help there. Otter's website says they are watertight to 100 feet. We just swing the lanyard around so the box is floating behind us, over our backs. I tried it first with a wrist lanyard but preferred the neck lanyard. If you wear a dive belt, maybe you could latch it on there?

To be perfectly safe I guess leaving absolutely nothing in the car trunk or inside and leaving the doors unlocked and the windows cracked or down is the thing to do but we often forget and lock the car. One thing I would definitely NOT do is to park the car at the beach or wherever, then stand at the trunk and stow things. Our neighbors learned a lesson about that here at the Lake Michigan waterfront, unfortunately. You never know who may be noticing what you stow in that trunk.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

R - I threw away the package and don't remember. I bought it from Red Hook Dive Center here on STT and you could always email them and ask what they might suggest and I'm sure they'd be happy to offer advice even though you're going to STX! email wayne@redhookdivecenter.com and tell him the Old Tart advised you to ask!

Really best not to leave anything in a rental vehicle - just travel with the essentials. Cheers!

Windsor, New York
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

I use a "dry-pak" we got at target. Come's in different size's w/lanyard to go around your waist. I keep some cash, id, credit card , key's. You can get one large enough to hold a camera. I dive with it. If you lock your car, it is a sign that something of value is in it. Most thieves watch you put something in your car and wait till the coast is clear. Besides, if you leave the windows down it is much cooler in the car when you want to leave.

Davidsonville, MD
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

R,

Where is Dahab?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

toc: with the time difference, "R" is probably all asleep by this time but, to answer your question, Dahab is on the Sinai peninsular in Egypt. Cheers!

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

You should not have any problems at most of the locations you mentioned. The pier is downtown and chances are you will be able to park on the pier. If not park on Strand which runs along the waterfront. If you are diving at night, park a block south of the pier in front of the Blue Moon Cafe. They have a lot of customers in and out and you should not have any problems there.

At Cane Bay, park across the street at the dive shop. They have a large parking area. Should be no problem there.

At Carambola, park in the hotel parking lot. Very safe, but a bit of a walk to the beach.

Butler Bay is about two miles north of Frederiksted. Although it is adjacent to Hams Bluff Road, it could be a problem area if you leave stuff in the car. If you do decide to dive there, go just outside the bay and swim right along the shore line. Lots of thing to see.

UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do with belongings while shore diving

Hello everybody

Thanks for all your helpful replies and tips. I will probably try emailing defiii's contact to see if they can suggest make & model (then I'll see if it's available over here). I really would like something we can dive with as well as swim with.

What are the prices like at the scuba shops in St Croix? Is any one of them better than the other? If they're really good value we may pick up a few other things (like we could do with dive torches...)

Thanks for the parking tips too, pilotboy, very helpful - I'll make sure I take a copy of your post with me!

As already mentioned, Dahab is in Egypt. Quite a bit closer to get to for us Brits than the Virgin Islands but you probably have more exciting things to see underwater (I'm hoping to see my first sea-horse - and maybe some big rays?). However Dahab is an amazingly laid back, friendly and apparently crime-free environment - I'd recommend it to any Brit divers.

Thanks again everyone

Rogzog