We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buck Island tours

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Buck Island tours

Hi Everyone

My Husband and I are heading to St. Croix next month for our second time. What an special place. We would like to go to Buck Island again but we'd like to know which tour operator is best for us. We want a quiet tour with few people and would like to spend more time on Turtle beach snorkeling and what not. We are considering Captain Heinz. Appreciate your feedback.

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
618 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buck Island tours

We always go with Llewellyn aboard Charis out of the yacht club marina. Llew is an excellent sailor who only takes up to 6 aboard his engineless trimaran which is extremely stable and the beauty of the trip is not interrupted by the noise and fumes of a gas engine. Llew is also a calypso singer and is heard every Saturday night at Cheeseburgers. 340-773-9027 is the latest number I have for him.

Enjoy!

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
641 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buck Island tours

Hi Kay51Ky - We just returned from STX late last night and on the advice of some locals that we met we went with Captain Heinz (actually his very capable son Captain Carl and his daughter I believe her name was Melaine). We left from Green Cay marina at 9:00 and returned at 2:00. We sailed (no engines) from the marina directly to the snorkeling reef on the far east side of Buck Island which was nice, the reef was not as spectacular as I was expecting, we understand the reef was damaged in recent hurricanes.

After the snorkel we went to the beach which was one of the best I have ever seen, we spent about 2 hours there, swimming and snorkeling some more. There are picnic tables available on the island and we ate the lunch we brought.

Smooth ride back to the Marina, with a quick ride into Shoy's beach/bay next door. All in all a wonderful day, cost $68 doesn't include any extras, they do however sell water and sodas on the boat.

My husband is composing a fully detailed trip report, which he will post a little later today.

3. Re: Buck Island tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 06:32
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix