We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Time - good or bad?

Kansas
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Island Time - good or bad?

I feel that it is important to share this. Island time was a high-strung discussion for my wife and I. Island time is basically not having a set-time.

Good: This is great for a true-vacationer, trying to get away from the hustle & bustle of everyday life, time schedules, stress, etc. etc. It has its merits and free-spirit feel which is truly relaxing and can be enjoyable.

Bad: However..........Island time can be VERY expensive in that.......tours times, airplane flights, car-rental pick-ups, etc., are NOT island time. Another words, you have to be at certain places at certain times, if not in advance. For example, tours may begin at such and such time but they expect you to be there 15-30-45 minutes ahead of time. This is obviously the case with airports except, you need to be there much sooner than that for customs, security, etc.

Therefore, if your tax-driver is on "island-time", or if any other part of your experience prior to your "timed" destination is utilizing "Island Time", then you run the risk of being late for a "be-there-or-lose-your-deposit or reservation" experience.

No, this did not happen to us, but my wife didn't see the stress that Island Time actually CREATED on occasion because if you were in a hurry to get somewhere and the person you were working with (again - this could be anyone, even a hotel check-out receptionist, local store owner, taxi driver, rental car receptionist, etc.) then Island Time ran the risk of you losing your deposit or reservation. And.....to a degree....it was sometimes rude or in my eyese, an excuse to be slow.

Again, Island Time can be a great thing, but it can also be abused and it can also get you in trouble for things that are "not" based on Island Time. This is only meant as a "heads-up" consideration.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

You need a vacation :)

New Britain...
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

I tried to think of an instance where island time has been a problem or annoiance. I could only remember once when the gal dropping off our car at the airport was a little late. We got our luggage and waited, maybe 15-20 minutes before she showed up. If the Cruzan rum lady had been there I never would have noticed. LOL I can understand when locals need work done and parts/materials are not available seen as being on island time.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

While on STT 2 weeks ago we waited longer than usual for the Safari buses to come by. Each wait was 20-40 minutes long. The locals use these are their transportation to work and school and I now I wonder if they leave extra extra early because of this. Also for the eveings I use a specific cab driver for my entire stay. I always call ahead and make sure he's available at a specific time BEFORE i make my dinner reservations. Well one night he totally forgot about us....we waited in the parking lot of our condo for what felt like forever thinking he'll show up any minute cause I was NOT getting any cell service in that location. Finally walked up the hill a bit and got cell service and called him...Yup he forgot and came to get us 15 minutes or so later. TG I was able to call the restaurant and change our reservations (it was a busy Saturday night for them). AHHHH Island Time!

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

To me, the key is to put yourself on island time when your on islands like STX. I've found that it's best not to plan too many things for any given day. After visiting STX over the years for about 12/13 times, I find that once we land, I very quickly start to slow down. By the time I pick up the rental car,I'm already half way to the right mind set. We get to the hotel have a few beers on the beach and I'm all set. In the morning we havea leisurely breakfast ,take a ride somewhere, hang around and then back to the hotel. Later we go out for dinner somewhere and just take it nice and easy. Having a rental car allows you to do things at your own pace. After 2 or 3 days ,I'm so much on island time that it becomes difficult to even feel like doing anything. If I'm on a beach, I tend to want to stay there... If I'm at the pool,I tend to want to stay there also. I think STX works best if you don't have a lot of friends/family to accomodate or schedule yourself for too many things. I have to say that at best I only plan one "major" thing per day... That's it... That way if I feel like staying longer at Cane Bay, it's O.K. If I have too many beers at Norma's that's just fine.. It's just wonderful to not have the same hustle and bustle routine that we seem to have here at home... Island time is a good thing...

Mentioned in this post
Cane Bay
Cane Bay
308 Reviews
St. Croix
st. croix USVI
Level Contributor
428 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

Of all the many guests we have hosted over the years, we've only had one couple that couldn't understand the concept of island time. Sad. They wore and looked at their watches and constantly typed away on the "crack-berry". They haven't been back and I'm fine with that. They were a total Mr. and Mrs. Buzzkill. Got them to the airport WAY early. Most of our guests don't check bags so we get them checked in early and go somewhere for lunch/drinks. As long as they're back in time to get through security, not a big deal.

Some people are just not cut out to deal with the pace... they go to Orlando or some other such place.

I ordered a landline over 3 years ago. I gave up. I'm still waiting for my new windows to get installed, but hey, that's only been 2 years.

Wearing a watch? Can't remember the last time I owned one but I know it hasn't been in this century. Having moved from FL made the transition much easier for us than most, I think.

Well, it certainly isn't for everyone. And a lot of visitors I've met have thought about and wished about this lifestyle. I say rent, then decide. Health issues are the biggest killers of full-time residents (got a pain? get a plane). Otherwise, I'm quite fine with island time, but it does grow on you... or not.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

You need a vacation :) --- Ditto!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

ISLAND TIME IS JUST AN EXCUSE!

We have lived in Latin America and the Caribbean for years and have found that it is just a convenient excuse for people. People are just lazy.

If you are going to the beach, be on island time, if you are going to dinner or picking someone up in a taxi, BE ON TIME!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Minnesota
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

Wow ! OK then, I have never had a problem with being picked up on time, getting to the airport on time, tours, etc. and I Love St. Croix !! Have a good week :)

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

I response to gonetropo.. I have to kind of agree. There's a big difference in island time vs. bad service... Island time to me just means that things are done at a more liesurely pace than most places here at home. I accept the fact that island culture is different than N.East penna. culture. As an illustration, I had a job years ago that required that I spend time in central Florida and set up a small operation there. I was warned in advance by the man that was to run that operation not to expect the same work ethic or pace that I was used to here in Pa. No offense to any one from Florida. I'm only attempting to make my point about island time. We all just kind of need to go with the flow when in different circumstances..

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
805 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island Time - good or bad?

I for one enjoy Island Time when I am visiting the Caribbean. However, I also know that a rental car is a must. I am then in control of my schedule for things that have a must-meet time schedule.

I have experienced island time for things like servers in restaurants, check out people in stores, etc. But this just meant it was leisurely. We talked to each other. It became a pleasant experience instead of a rushed transaction. One of the most important lessons I learned about the islands was to actually greet people and mean it. When I walk into a store, I say "Good Morning" and then (this is key) wait for a response! Then we can move onto business.

I have never experienced any instance of Island Time that prevented me from doing something or cost me a deposit or whatever. Oh, well.. I'll share this one story. In St Thomas we were going on a catamaran trip to Yost Van Dyke. After parking our car at the marina we accidentally locked our keys in trunk!! And all our stuff including passports were in the trunk! Aaaaiiieeee!!!!

Well - we had about 20 minutes before the boat was to leave. In an unsual island panic we got the number for a tow truck who could open the truck. Well, he didn't show up for 45 minutes! Aaaaiieeee!!! However, we explained the situation to the boat operator and he had no problem waiting for us. That's Island Time. When we did get our stuff and get onto the boat, we apologize profusely to the others who had to wait for us. Everyone told us not to worry about it - they were fine and they wouldn't have dreamt of leaving us. They were on Island Time too.

Island Time? Bring it on...

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands