We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Completely confused - need help from experts!

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
960 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Completely confused - need help from experts!

Now that I've studied multiple websites for villas / houses to rent, and received some excellent advice from experienced contributors, I'm even more lost. Here's my dilemma:

I'm planning a surprise anniversary trip to STX for next June / July for my wife and me. I want a reasonably priced ($2000 max) villa or home with lots of privacy and a pool. It doesn't have to be on the water, but a nice view is mandatory. We'll spend a lot of time at the pool, but we'll also spend a lot of time exploring the island.

I've rented several cabins and homes via VRBO and other websites, always using TripAdvisor as my primary source of info. Every one has been outstanding. Margy Z has contributed lots of excellent advice, and I want to make sure I'm getting what is advertised.

I'm getting close to a decision, and I have it narrowed down to (hopefully) just a few. Villa Madeleine is one of the areas that's consistently positive, and the Judith's Fancy area also comes through with good reviews.

One thing I read concerns me a bit. A couple of the listings I've read talked about renting to only one group at a time. Is it common in STX to rent a house out to multiple groups? I've never heard of that, but I'd certainly be unhappy with that type of 'surprise'.

I'm looking at the following and really would appreciate just one more time any additional advice I can get re: these properties (all have good reviews, some more plentiful than others):

http://stcroixvilla.com/ (Sugar Mill Villa in Judith's Fancy)

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p256439 (in Judith's

Fancy)

http://www.villasoleil.com/

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g147402…

All sound a look great, but one never knows. Thanks in advance everyone. I'm already excited for our trip next year.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

I prefer Villa Madeleine and that area to Judith's Fancy. Shoys is another nice area. Call Donna Ford at Ford Realty. She will set you up in something really nice.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

I, too, prefer east end to Judith's Fancy, and I agree to go through someone who is on island to help you if you need them. You may not - but when you do, you really do, and if there is no on-island support then you are kind of sunk and so is your vacation. The area code for St. Croix is 340 and you want to have a local number to reach someone on island if you have any issues.

Also, compare pricing - if something looks to be priced too low compared to other similar properties in the same area there is generally a reason - maintenance may have been deferred for years and the photos don't show that, needed services (like exterminating) or pool service may not be happening, things you see in the photos may no longer be there or may have broken and never been replaced.

If you don't want to have to think about all of that and are getting exhausted looking at everything on the internet and keeping properties and amenities straight, then rent through one of the on-island villa managers who can help you sort through the properties to find the best one for you and who will be there for you if you need them.

Have a great time!

DALLAS,TX
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

Check this one out.

http://www.vrbo.com/243173

My wife and I have been all around the Carribean and have decided that St Croix is the best!! This home we stayed in last Feb. and again in July. The home is well kept and the veiw is magnificent. Very private. You will LOVE it as much as we do. We are planing to stay for a month next spring.

Don K

St. Croix
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

Villa Soleil is a really nice villa. I would, however, find it strange that you could rent a villa like that in Judith's Fancy for $2,000!

Villa Madeleine is not really private at all. It is basically a condo complex with semi-private units.

As far as what part of the island to rent in...east of Christiansted, on the east end, it is much more arid than the west end. During parts of the year it can almost look like desert southwest...cactus and all! It is also more flat and is primarily "expats" living out there.

To the west of Christiansted, on the north shore, you will find it to be much more mountainous and lush. It is also more of a mix of "expats" and locals. It has much more of a Caribbean island feel to it than the east end.

Eddyville, Kentucky
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

We stayed here last year. The views are amazing! The owner was great to work with, and there is an on-island agency that helps with the details and are available if you have any problems. We were met at the airport and followed the guy to the villa to be shown around. Highly recommend it!!

http://www.vrbo.com/206982

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

What countries are the 'expats' from?

St. Croix
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

Villa Soleil is very nice. www.VillaSoleil.com. I have stayed there twice and the owner, Melissa, is very accommodating and nice. The entire inside of the villa was just repainted with beautiful tropical colors. It has a nice pool with a bar and a very large deck with a great view.

Many villa owners will say "one group at a time" because typically, villas on the island are built with a separate apartment below the main house. They are almost always rented as part of the main house, so owners don't want potential customers to think they rent the main house and the apartment separately.

St. Croix
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

I have to disagree with MargyZ when it comes to renting a villa or condo exclusively through an "on island" property management company. Property owners that manage their properties themselves will offer the same support "on island" as any property management company does. They will have "on island" caretakers, housekeepers, electricians, plumbers, air-conditioning repairmen, etc that will respond immediately for them to any problems. "Off island" owners that manage their own properties are typically available 24/7 via their cell phones and are just as concerned about their guests stays as any property management company...maybe even more so! "Off island" owners that manage their own properties are just as concerned about the quality of their guests stays, and want repeat business from them.

St. Croix
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

"Expats" refers mainly to people that have relocated to the island from the states. They tend to congregate on the east end f the island although I prefer the north shore from Judith's Fancy to Cane Bay.

St Croix
Level Contributor
224 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Completely confused - need help from experts!

I believe people who relocate to the US Virgin Islands are still US citizens--not ex-pats since this is a US Territory.

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix