We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches with chairs

Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches with chairs

Last year we enjoyed our beach at Cottages but didn't get around to a lot of the others. This year we are planning to venture out more. Where can we find beach chairs for rent? I've read about Tamarind Reef having chair rental. Does the Buccaneer offer this? Is there a place at Cane Bay we can rent chairs? Other suggestions? Thx, Pam

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches with chairs

Rhythms has chairs and umbrellas for rent as does SandCastle's. The Buc has SO many chairs I don't know that they would be able to figure out who had a rental and who didn't. I think you can pay a day rate at the gatehouse or just go in for a meal at THe Mermaid or Grotto. Chenay Bay has chairs - not sure if they rent. We've used the chairs at The Buc when we have gone to the Mermaid for lunch - we brought our own towels, though. Hope someone chimes in about Cane Bay - I would also be interested in that. We've always brought our own beach chairs there and to Shoys, Coakley, and Smuggler's.

You're getting to be a short timer now, aren't you Pam? How many days??

If you get into F'Sted on a ship day, look up FantaSea Jewelry STX. She will most likely have a display out near Polly's. Beautiful handmade silver jewelry. I found her on etsy and she has made a couple of custom pieces for me. Beautiful things with semi-precious stones, larimar, shell. Here's her website and she is on FB: www.FantaSeaJewelrySTX.com

Have a great time!

Canton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches with chairs

hi...we have our 4th trip planned to st croix for 2/12. we stayed at cottages our 1st year and they let us borrow a couple chairs to take to another beach. they are so nice there. we used to visit st maarteen and they had a guy you could rent chairs, coolers, snorkel stuff from and it was great. but we havent seen or heard of anyone like that on st croix. you could always just buy a couple chairs at kmart and leave them when you leave. we might do that for our next visit. we are staying at the palms and i dont know how they would feel about the borrowing of their chairs! have fun!

holly

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches with chairs

Cane Bay also has chairs for rent, you rent them at the beach bar. I think it was something like $7 for the whole day, although we didn't stay all day. They were in good condition, and we didn't have to drag them and set them up, the nice owner, (I think Max was his name) did the grunt work, and also even brought us a could drinks so we didn't have to go back to the bar and leave our belongings.

Palms and Hibiscus both have chairs, no one monitors who is using them, and it's a quiet location if that is what you are looking for.

We also rented them at Rainbow Beach.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 21:17
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches with chairs

could = couple. sorry!

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches with chairs

Gee Margy hope that the chairs at Bucr really were free because we sat in them and never paid ... :). We never even gave it a thought because on most islands that we visited if you even glanced at a chair on the beach people ran up and asked if you wanted rent them. It is hard to believe that some things in life are free.

Make a good list Peg because we were the same as you this year when we went ... we stayed pretty much on "our beach" at Pelican and we want to venture out to many beaches or at least some new beaches when we go in March. Margy has given us such a great list that we might have to move there just to visit them all! Wouldn't that be just terrible!?

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches with chairs

The chaise lounges at the Buccaneer are free....just tell the gate house that you are eating at The Mermaid (assuming that you plan to do that!) and they should let you in. You can also use the lounges at the Grotto beach and pool and could eat at the Grotto snack bar (good burgers, wrap sandwiches, tropical drinks, etc.).

You won't be able to use the floats, kayaks, etc. if you are not a guest and you can't even pay to use them. But it's still a terrific place to spend the day and there are restrooms and a bar there as well.

Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches with chairs

Thanks for the tips everybody. Our vacation is drawing near. Margy - what beautiful jewelry! I'll look her up on cruise ship day.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches with chairs

I looked up the jewelry too, and can't wait to head there on Cruise day to see what I can find. Pegoode... I hope you have a fantastic trip.

Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches with chairs

ccrosner - I think lunch at the Buc is in our future. Thanks for the tips!

Davidsonville, MD
Level Contributor
192 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches with chairs

We have stayed at the Buccaneer numerous times in the past and always drop by to "visit" during our annual sabbatical when we are not booked at the Buc. We have never had a problem when we use one of thier chairs/chaise. When we visit there we do pump major $ into thier coffers by buying lunch at the Mermaid or Grotto and imbibing a few fruity drinks.

Buying a few chairs at K-Mart is also a great idea. If you find a place that rents beach chairs you would probably pay close to the chair purchase price. The only problem I see with this approach is that you would probably draw unwanted attention to yourself if you haul a chair onto a private beach. There certainly would be no issues at Cane Bay.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes.