We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

middle aged woman traveling alone

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
middle aged woman traveling alone

I want to stay for 2 weeks in St croix in a studio or 1 bedrm at a good swimming beach & near restaurants & some form of entertainment. Safety & securitty a must. Want to be able to sit in a beach chair & when I go swimming I want my Kindle & house keys to be safe. I also want to be able to go out at night & hear a little music if possible. What wd be best part olf the island to stay? Do I have to rent a car & if I do where do I get one? any advice or suggestions wd b e appreciated. I am traveling alone & basically want to sit at the beach, swim & snorkel, read, go out at night if I get bored & not get hassled. thanks.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: middle aged woman traveling alone

Check out Tamarind Reef Hotel - nice pool, beach, good snorkeling, beach bar, entertainment some nights. I would definitely rent a car for at least part of your trip. Centerline is a good company. There are several informal restaurants within 5 miles that have music at night. Very safe. I don't know of a studio that would meet your requirements. Maybe someone else can help.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: middle aged woman traveling alone

If I was going to St Croix by myself, I would stay at Hotel on the Cay (unless you want to splurge and stay at the Buccaneer). It is on an island in Christiansted Harbor with a ferry that takes you back and forth to town. In town, you have the great restaurants, shops and some entertainment. At HOTC you will have a nice beach, chairs, umbrellas, beach towels, pool, bar/restaurant for breakfast and lunch. It is not a 5* hotel so read the reviews carefully, but for a person coming alone it is the perfect place to stay. The ferry also is very frequent and only takes about 2 minutes to get to town. The rooms have some cooking facilities and there are BBQs on site. It is also very safe because it is its own little island.

The other thing about HOTC is you do not need a car the entire trip but I would get one for at least a few days to see the island. From town you can do a Tan Tan tour, a Buck Island tour and I think the Kayaking people will pick you up near where the ferry drops you off. Also, they organize some activities at the hotel.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: middle aged woman traveling alone

I agree with Saffie. HOTC is not 5 star although they are dong a lot of improvments. There is also a beach Bar-B-Que every tuesday on site which is fun.

This year they also started an activity on Sindays where the ferry will take you to the Golden Rail in Gallows Bay via ferry (no charge). Once there you get a free drink and can order dinner. There is live music - the night we went there were 14 from HOTC and we had a great time - even got to dance a little.

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: middle aged woman traveling alone

I like Tamarind Reef, but if you like to swim you have to go outside the reef,otherwise it's very shallow.

I agree with Saffie-- Hotel on the Cay would be my choice if I was alone.

Paula

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: middle aged woman traveling alone

I agree on the HOTC, I always feel very safe there night or day. Its about as safe as you can get down island, although I don't think I would leave my iPad on any beach, but someone can keep an eye on it for you while you swim. Good snorkeling but you have to know where to go, nice little bar, lunch/drinks are served on the beach, they have little cabana things you can rent. Most rooms have a nice view. Just don't expect plush linens, and fancy soap! I like to sit up on top of the hill in the afternoon and read, what a beautiful 360 degree view.

Its a good vibe, very low key, not fancy at all though, not for the 4 or 5 star crowd at all.

I think I just talked myself into going down!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: middle aged woman traveling alone

thank you. that was helpful

Pittsburgh...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: middle aged woman traveling alone

just got back last night! all of the suggestions are good. buccaneer is mostly families and couples. so maybe HOTC is your best bet. As always when staying on any island keep your valuables in the safe. double lock all doors at night.

break-ins happen and usually to rooms that have an easily escapable route.

So be prudent..store your valuables and take only what is needed. HOTC is looking better with each line i type.

8. Re: middle aged woman traveling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 10:20