We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I crazy???

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Am I crazy???

Once in a while, when reading reviews of the St. Croix hotels, you come across one that just makes you scratch your head. Usually it's because the reviewer expects five start service and luxury when they are just paying Holiday Inn rates. Never seems fair to the hotels to me.

Well, today there is a new review of The Buccaneer. From someone who won a free trip to the Buccaneer from a t.v. show. Free. I'm guessing that means airfare, transfers, hotel room and the Buccaneer's free breakfast. So they come on TA and rip the hotel for being an expensive place to eat and for the fact you need to pay for taxis to get around to other spots. They finish by saying something like "unless you like just hanging out by the beach, don't except (sic) a free trip here."

Are you kidding me? I know I am biased about the Buccaneer....but I think I would have the same reaction if someone won a trip to The Palms at Pelican Cove and then complained that he/she had to walk a few minutes to gain entry into the water.

Thanks for letting me vent :)

Austin, Texas
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I crazy???

No you are not the crazy one here. I love the Buccaneer.

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I crazy???

Well Said!!!!! They get a freeby and they are complaining - give me break!!!!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I crazy???

They obviously did no homework or they would have rented a car.

We stayed at Palms of Pelican Cove a couple of years ago. Totally enjoyed our stay. Yes, we had to walk for easy water entry, but the snorkeling was great. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. Wonderful staff. They were doing renovations during our stay and the construction manager showed us what they were doing. (the work was in a different building, so noise was never a problem). Our room was dated, but so what, it had everything we needed.

We rented a car for our trip and check out the whole island. Stopped at the Buccaneer to check it out, because we had considered staying there. Beautiful property. Wasn't crowded at all and we were there in January.

Some people are never happy even if it's FREE!

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I crazy???

Thanks for the support. Nice to know there are others who agree with my viewpoint. Some people enjoy being unhappy....I am not one of them :)

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I crazy???

What part of "free" didn't they get? The Buc was a very nice "free" trip in my opinion even though I haven't stayed there. You are definitely not crazy Carol. I think that people that have never been to any islands have a very unrealistic idea of what an island is like. Wonder what these people would have thought if they won a "free" trip to one of the resorts in Aruba or some of the really huge RESORT town islands?

Vent away Carol and enjoy that you are not crazy!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I crazy???

Wait until they get their tax bill for their free trip. That will give them something to complain about!

Edited: 12 January 2012, 01:00
Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I crazy???

I'm with you. Hey, come tomorrow when the snow hits here in Illinois, I'd take a free trip to BLUE ISLAND - and that's only about 30 miles south of here...

I always say - the USVI is NOT for the Sandals crowd. No offense; I've enjoyed an all-inclusive, too, but I think a lot of you know what I mean by that...

- Margy

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I crazy???

They don't know it yet, but they will get a 1099 for the full retail value of the trip. Then they will have something to complain about. Funny!!

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I crazy???

Some people always see the glass half empty.

I am happy with my half FULL glass sitting on the sunny beach and chillaxing any day of the wek!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I crazy???

Totally with you on that, I like to explore, and chose different restaurants and bars. I love that STX is not over built too.