We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

I am looking forward to doing this hike. I have been reviewing some of the past posts on this and I am left a little confused. We will be starting the hike up the hill past the guard shack at the Carambola.

I am probably overthinking this but... one post says to turn left at the Y in the road. Another says to make a right at the wide dirt road... and yet another says turn left at the tall grass.

Could someone help with directions before I go in circles or wind up sliding down a hill?

Also, has anyone heard of a cache hidden in the rocks in the area of the Tide pools?

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

Check http://www.stcroixhiking.org. I think they've made some comments about this hike.

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

Thank you, Is Annaly Bay the same place/name as Wills Bay?

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

I'll ask my friend who was born in STX, and get back to you later today/night.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

No Willis Bay is the bay between Davis Bay - where the Carambola is and Annaly Bay - which is where the tide pools are.

henniker,NH
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

If i remember right you go left at the tall grass (lol) otherwize it is a very steep drop to the pools

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

Park above the guard shack and look for the trail head sign - it's in the tall grass but if you look you can't miss it. The trail skirts along the resort and you can hear/see the resort as you walk. You'll come to the grass area and just follow the trail through the grass area. When you come to the dirt road turn right and follow it down to the ocean. When you come to the ocean turn left along the beach until you come to the baths. You'll need to climb over a rock outcropping to get into the baths. Wear appropriate shoes that can get wet but protect your feet from the sharp rocks (our family had Chaco sandels). We hiked to it in December for the first time and had no problem finding it. Have Fun!!!!

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

Thank you everyone. Sounds like somewhat of a hidden adventure. Thats part of what makes St. Croix such a special place.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

Park in the lot by the guard shack and go into the hotel. Get directions from the people there. OR walk along the road where the rooms are heading west. The entrance to the trail is across from the laundry. It's about a 45 min hike. When you get close, do not take the trail on the right heading down to the water. It is very steep. Take the trail to the left which will take you down to a road that goes to the water. Climb over the rocks on your left (be sure to have good shoes or sandals). Have fun. It's a great hike/experience.

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

Walking through the resort works assuming the guards allows it. When we visited, the guard wouldn't allow us to walk through the resort. However this didn't stop us from walking through the resort when we walked back to our vehicles!!!!

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Directions for Annaly Bay Tide pool hike

If you are up for it, follow the dirt road to the west and turn right at the second road you come to. It will take you out on a point with a great view. Backtrack 200 feet or so and go down the hill to the left for a truly isolated experience.

For great views from above, drive up to the top of the beast and then take Scenic Road (dirt road) along the north shore ridgeline. This is a pic from up there looking east back over Annaly Bay. You can exit out the west down Creque Dam Road to the west coast or turn back south and head town to visit the beer drinking pigs. Do NOT try and drive down the road into Annaly Bay. Great place to star waatch too. There is a eco-camp at the west end before you really start downhill if you wanted to check out something different

…photobucket.com/albums/…

http://www.mtvictorycamp.com/farm.html

Saffie, from what I know, Will's Bay is 2 bays west of Annaly Bay, not east. The shoreline to the east of Annaly doesn't have a name but is a great place for a shore dive if you can lug your gear in there. Annaly, on a calm day, is another great shore dive if you can find somebody to drive you down there.

this is Willl's Bay from the ridge above it to the west

…photobucket.com/albums/…

You will also hear Annaly Bay referred to as Ringstone bay from the ringstone set in the rocks where the tender boats used to tie up when they were loading sugar from the old mills in that valley.

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix