We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a few more questions for next weekend

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Just a few more questions for next weekend

Thanks again for all your help in planning for my 55th birthday celebration in St Croix next weekend. Based upon your input, we have booked our car (Hertz) and hotel (least expensive room at Bucanneer), and decided to save Buck Island for a future trip.

Are thinking about making the following dinner reservations:

Friday (birthday)- Kendrick's

Saturday - Savant

Sunday - Beach side cafe at Sand Castle on the Beach

Kendrick's and Savant are not open on Sundays, and it would be nice to have one good sunset restaurant meal.

Does this sound like a good short list for dinner?

My husband loves local restaurants. Any that you would suggest for lunch?

We love fresh fruit--I see from previous posters that there is a very early Saturday farmers market on 75, but, Annaly and Art Farm are also suggested. Any fresh fruit grown on the island available now?

Besides checking out the Bucaneer beach snorkeling, what would be on your short list for best snorkeling from the beach given weather/current conditions? I know that we won't want to stay at the resort the entire time but won't have time to check out every beach. We aren't the sitting on beach chair and having drinks brought to you all day sort of folks. We also would like to avoid crowds and jet skis if possible. I couldn't find a current cruiseship schedule for St Croix.

Finally, do folks get together from tripadvisor? We have done so in Maryland, Buenos aires and Providenciales.

Thanks so much

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Isaac Bay
Bodies of Water
Buck Island Reef National Monument
Islands, Monuments & Statues, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Reefs
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a few more questions for next weekend

Forgot to ask. Which snorkeling flippers to bring? Full fin or the ones with straps to wear with booties? Thanks again

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,376 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a few more questions for next weekend

I can't help you with your restaurant suggestions as we tended toward the beach bar type of venue while there last July. But for a good, local restaurant, you should try Kim's in Christensted. Excellent food, filling lunch. It will take some time there; the kitchen is a bit slow, but the food makes up for the wait (get a Presidente or a rum drink while you wait). If you visit the beer drinking pigs at Mt. Pelliere, have lunch (and a mammawanna) at the bar. Norma, the owner, makes the food. Best johnny cakes ever. And she has a pretty good hot sauce, too.

Good snorkeling can be found at the nearby Tamarind Reef hotel. Their beach is not good for swimming, but snorkeling is excellent. They have placed inner tubes along the reef so you can see where to go and, if you need to clear your mask or something, you can hang onto them (good for the reef as you should never stand on coral). We did not get to nearby Shoy's beach (you will see it when you enter The Buccaneer), but I hear snorkeling there is excellent, too. On the west side, the Fredriksted pier is a nice place to snorkel with many fish and other cool critters around the pier pilings.

Hope you have a great time.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a few more questions for next weekend

Bon Voyage, LaContessa! And Happy Birthday as well! You will have a wonderful time I am sure. Just go with an expectation of laid back and stress-free and you'll enjoy yourselves. Get on Island Time as fast as you can :)

Your restaurant picks are excellent and would be my choices (though we've not done dinner on the West End as our drinking habits would make that less than safe driving!). Be sure to ask to be in the courtyard at Savant--very unique setting.

As for local lunch places, I hope others will give you some suggestions. If you are in town at lunchtime, I would suggest lunch at Rumrunners more for the atmosphere than for the top notch food. Have their famous Painkiller and try a lobster quesadilla and you'll be all set for the afternoon. Think Jimmy Buffett with a view of the harbor. Wish we were there right now!

And, yes, the St. Croix 'tribe" (as we like to call the regulars on this forum) has gotten together over the years when it works out. Just t

Carolhis past March, Crabgroupie, MargyZ and LynneR got together with my husband and me which was fun. I've also met rcarp and I know that some others have gotten together. Most of us are simply frequent visitors so it's tough to get together.

Have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a few more questions for next weekend

First of all, I don't think there will be any cruise ships in July and most jet skiis are either at Hotel on the Cay or Rainbow Beach.

Your dinner reservations are perfect. I like Breezez also and it's a little less expensive. For lunch in town my favorite is Cafe Christine followed by Cafe Fresco. The Brew Pub food is good too. For very local food, Kim's and Brady's.

Snorkeling favorites: the outside of the reef at the east end of Shoys, Tamarind Reef Hotel, all around the reef in front of the Mermaid Beach at the Buc, and The Palms at Pelican Cove. There are many other good places; these are just my favorites.

Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Beach
Rainbow Beach
416 Reviews
St. Croix
St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a few more questions for next weekend

Forgot to say that if you want to meet up for a drink, send me a message.

Edited: 27 May 2012, 12:32
South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just a few more questions for next weekend

Hope you have a great vacation and enjoy St. Croix as much as we did. I have heard that Miriams in Christiansted is a great place if you enjoy Mexican food. We have eaten at Angry Nates, RumRunners and BrewPub for lunch on the harbor in Christiansted and had very nice meals. We also had Sunday brunch at The Palms. If you go to the Palms on Wednesday night for their Caribbean Buffet you can see the Mockie Jumbies ... so many places so little time ... you should probably start planning your next trip now! Have a fantastic time ... I am so jealous!

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
7. Re: Just a few more questions for next weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix