We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Color and clarity of Buccaneer beach water?

Woodstock, Maryland
Level Contributor
400 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Color and clarity of Buccaneer beach water?

Can someone tell me if the color of the water is pretty green and clear at the Buccaneer beaches? Also is the food pretty good, we

are thnking of going in Oct. and trying to do some research on

what island and resort.

st. croix USVI
Level Contributor
428 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Color and clarity of Buccaneer beach water?

www.thebuccaneer.com/st-croix-beaches.htm

The above link's photo is fairly representative of just one part of the beach.

The other resort that may meet your standards is:

carambolabeach.com/caribbean-resort-st-croix/

The upper right hand side of this forum shows travel reviews of these and other hotels and some traveler photos in addition to the professional photos.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 13:03
Boston
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Color and clarity of Buccaneer beach water?

I was hoping one of the regulars who stays at the Buc would answer, but the water is very nice there and as far as food, St Croix has fantastic restaurants, so much so that there is a food and wine festival every year. The Buc is close to town with easy access to the restaurants of C'sted.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Color and clarity of Buccaneer beach water?

I think CCrossner is "on vacation" if I remember correctly or she would have given great reviews and advice about the Buc :) I have never stayed there so I don't have an opinion but I don't think you can go wrong getting to know St. Croix. The water is that awesome turquoise that you are looking for and Buck Island really looks just like any of the pictures you see of it. St. Croix has great beaches ... some for sitting and enjoying yourself, some for swimming, some for snorkeling ... the east end is drier and offers beautiful views of Buck Island ... it is closest to Christiansted and you can enjoy some great waterfront restaurants, watch sea planes come and go and have fun at the Brew Pub. The West end where the cruise ships come in also has great water views, funky beach bars and a tropical forest. There are 3 golf courses, a botanical garden, Captain Morgan and a rum factory ... if you can give an idea of what you are looking for I'm pretty sure some of the regulars will jump on with more ideas than you have time for :)

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Color and clarity of Buccaneer beach water?

The Buc has very nice beaches and beautiful water. The clarity kind of depends upon weather conditions in that if it is not too windy the clarity and visibility is great. If the wind kicks up, waves get a bit bigger and then right next to shore, things cloud up a bit. If the sun is overhead and the wind is normal then the water is simply stunning. If you do stay there you will see what I mean. When you sit on the Terrace for breakfast and the conditions are right you will be amazed at the colors and variations. I guarantee that it will be one of the most impressive views that you can ever experience. And if you are impresssed with the daytime view, wait until you see the view at night from the Lobby Bar...The Buc has 3 different beaches and conditions vary slightly at each one. I think that Grotto Beach is the nicest. That's because it also has the best snorkleing at the resort. Mermaid Beach is better for just lying around or for kids. trying to say that one is better or worse than the other is like trying to decide between a great steak or a great lobster....The food is good also ,but I have to say that we don't eat too many dinners there. The free breakfast is a terrific way to start your day. Tons of choices,fresh fruit, juices,cereals,pastries,panckaes,french toast, omelettes, bacon, sausage....Whatever...The bar food is top notch and the dinners are a bit upscale. The beach side restaurants are O.K.. The Buccaneer is a very enjoyable pleasant place to spend a vacation. Some may say that it's expensive, but I will tell you that during the off season I do not believe there is a better value in the Caribbean.... If a person can't enjoy themselves at The Buc then I'd say they are incapable of having a good time. The island itself is our favorite and we are going twice this year, which will be our 16th & 17th visits. I've yet to get tired of going there and am really, really looking forward to our trips. The grounds are simply beautiful but the place is low key and relaxed. Old style Caribbean feel.Not much glitz and glamour. We will be there in July and in Oct. and I know how much fun it will be. Give it a try, you won't be sorry....

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Color and clarity of Buccaneer beach water?

Hi all,

Lynne was right that we were 'on vacation'....and not on St. Croix this time! Glad stcroixtraveler gave the OP a great review of the water and beaches at the Buc. I have nothing to add.

Just got back late last night from a two week trip to Rome and a cruise (our first) to the Eastern Mediterranean. Absolutely fabulous--trip of a lifetime, really. But DD15 said the one thing she missed on the cruise that she gets at the Buccaneer is a sense of community. She likes that after a day or two, you see the same familiar faces during your day. With 2900 people plus crew on board our ship, you saw different people every day.

Stcroixtraveler....lucky you going twice to STX this year!!! Didn't realize you were going in October. I'm jealous.

6. Re: Color and clarity of Buccaneer beach water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 20:17