We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries to bring

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries to bring

Hello,

I will be traveling to St. Croix for my honeymoon next Summer from the U.S. I have heard that groceries on the island are very expensive, so any suggestions of non-perishables that I should bring along? The person who I am renting my villa from said that they could pre-stock from Schooner Bay Grocery Store, but I have read reviews that say that they are pricey there. Would it be smarter to stop at a bigger store once I arrive or just to arrange for the villa owner to pre-stock for the fee? Thank you for your input, I cannot wait to visit St. Croix!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries to bring

Depends on what time you're arriving as, once you get your rental car, you may have plenty of time to do your own shopping, stopping off at CostULess or Plaza Extra depending on where on island you're staying. Both are open quite late. Groceries average about 30% higher than stateside prices but, overall, I don't think you're likely to experience any major sticker shocks when you balance out everything. If you don't feel like doing major shopping your first night you could always pick up a couple of basics for breakfast and maybe grab a take-out dinner.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries to bring

We stocked up at FoodTown last year but we didn't buy any major foods ... just staples like bread, butter, peanutbutter, cheese. HOWEVER the first year we were on the island I almost fainted at the price of a can of coffee so this year we took a couple of bags of Dunkin Donut coffee and will do the same this year. Our flight gets in mid afternoon so this year we are going to try to stock up at Plaza Extra. KMart is good for alcohol. Schooner Bay has more of a deli type shopping approach ... and more expensive ... there are also various Farmer's markets to stop at ... as STT said above it depends on what time you are arriving and which end of the island you are staying on but definitely bring coffee!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries to bring

I bring coffee and snacks. If we are eating lunches in, I might throw in a peanut butter and a couple of pouches of tuna, otherwise, we buy everything and eat all our dinners out.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries to bring

Forget the groceries. All you need is a couple of pairs of shorts, a pair of slacks, some shirts, sandals,and a bathing suit

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries to bring

We also usually bring some coffee, a few snacks like microwave popcorn or nuts and then do any shopping once we get in.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries to bring

We used to bring a lot more and cook in a lot more - got into that when traveling to STJ and other islands. However, the restaurants on STX are just so good and you can find good food in all price ranges. We still bring coffee that we like, nuts from Trader Joe's, and some crackers that we have not been able to find on island as yet. And Twizzlers - have never found Twizzlers.

As for provisioning: We do often will have the villa mgt company provision for us for the first night and morning. We start out traveling from Chicago at 3 AM and are pretty beat by the time we get to the villa around 4-5 PM. That's a long day with very little sleep - all we want to do is enjoy the pool and the view when we finally arrive. We think it is well worth it not to have to head out again even if the company provisions from Schooner or Food Town. Then, the next day we head out and do our shopping for the stay at Plaza Extra and Cost U Less and pick up some baked goodies at The Bistro in Gallows Bay.

Happy planning!

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries to bring

Crabgroupie's got it right! I don't know if we're just not coffee connoisseurs or what, but we've found the Eight O'clock coffee to be pretty good. Found it at Plaza East.

Actually we've always been able to find everything we buy back here in Texas, except for Frito-Lay Bean Dip.... There are all kind of speciality bean dips there, but none of the old fashioned real deal Frito's Bean Dip. And 'most' things seem to be just a slight bit higher than where we live-- I wouldn't worry about trying to pack things for your trip :)

Paula

8. Re: Groceries to bring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 04:15