We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a car in St. Croix??

Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need a car in St. Croix??

We will be staying at Cottages by the Sea in Fredericksted. I was wondering if we really need a car. We need to load up on groceries at some point, but most of our time will be spent diving and relaxing. Would it be better to just get a taxi for the grocery trip, or maybe just rent a car for a day or to? It doesn't seem like it would be worth it to rent a car for the whole week. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need a car in St. Croix??

I love Cottages! We were actually married on the beach there. There is nothing wrong with relaxing on the beach for your whole vacation. However, if you want to adventure out, you could rent a car/Jeep for a portion of your trip. Centerline Car Rental will actually pick you up and bring you to their office to sign paperwork and get you your vehicle. They can drop you off back at Cottages at the end or at the airport. They supplied all my off-island guests vehicles. And remember KEEP LEFT!

Boston
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need a car in St. Croix??

I agree you need a car at least some of the time. We stay right in C'sted and only get one for 2-3 days, but it would be a shame to go to STX and not see any of the island.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need a car in St. Croix??

Definitely. You could get a car for part of your trip and then if you decide you don't need it anymore, turn it in. Taxis are very expensive; a car is less expensive and it's nice to have the freedom to check out the rest of the island and a few of the wonderful restaurants.

Maine
Level Contributor
812 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need a car in St. Croix??

Love Cottages! Getting ready to book our third stay there this November. We can't imagine not having a car. We like to mostly hang on the beach but find we head out each day to grab lunch at a beach bar, hit C'sted or just a trip to Plaza Extra for survival rations (beer, vodka,etc). Enjoy your trip. Cottages is a special place'

Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need a car in St. Croix??

Just got back last night from St Croix. So many incredible moments I will post, but yes, to answer your question: Rent a car. I suggest renting a jeep from Centerline. Although many posts on here say that you will be fine with any type of car, I disagree. A jeep will allow you to see things on the scenic route, allow you to unzip the top and feel free to adventure. Centerline picked us up at the airport and took us to a parking lot just outside of the official airport grounds. There, we signed the papers for the jeep, got our map and directions, and started on our most amazing vacation. Best and most unexpected part of having a jeep, was the ability to SLOWLY traverse the off path roads at every whim. Centerline was the most affordable, has a brand new line of jeeps, and couldn't have provided better customer service! At the end of our trip, we just parked it at the airport and called them. No troubles Mon! Enjoy your trip!

6. Re: Do we need a car in St. Croix??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 06:17