We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
618 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

Traveling to St Croix always has it's adventures but this weeks trip takes the prize. Returning from Buck Island on a private boat late Friday afternoon my 18 yo daughter spotted a pod of six dolphins ahead. We slowed to observe and were pleased that they chose to stay and observe us. First my daughter slipped in then I followed with my underwater camera. They stayed with us for about an hour. Incredible encounter....I will try to add the video link..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWxH3Ec_WdE&sns=em

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

Thanks for sharing this awesome video! Wish we would have seem some the day we went sailing there but it was our day to see turles instead which okay also.

Sturtevant...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

Amazing! We were at Buck Island on Thursday, but sadly, no dolphins (or turtles!)

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

Amazing, wonderful, fabulous :)

Thanks for sharing

Pia

Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
431 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

Beautiful video although I'm not 100% sold that it's safe to jump in the water with such a large WILD animal!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

Great video but as stated you might want to think twice about jumping in the water with them. They are "wild" animals and can be more vicious than sharks.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

I swam with the dolphins near Buck Island once and it is a tantastic experience. There were about 30 of them and they swam the length of the island with me. I put my arms out and they came within inches of my fingers and then would swim away. Two of the dolphins had babies with them. They are so friendly.

Camp Hill...
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

Beautiful!! The ONLY way humans should swim with dolphins - when the dolphins are in the wild and willing. You are so lucky! Lots of times, they keep some distance when you jump in the water. And the STX Facebook businesses are sharing your video too! I saw it this morning, before I got to this site.

south carolina
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

Wow, I know this is an older post, but I just planned my second trip to St. Croix for November and found this. I litterally pray when I scuba that I will see a dolphin and never have.....awesome!!!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,468 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

I'm really glad this thread is back at the top; otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. How very cool. Dolphins are about the only thing I haven't been able to snorkel with yet. How very fortunate you were. Loved the music, too.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dancing with dolphins returning from Buck Island on Friday.

Thanks for bumping this! Fabulous, I agree this is the only way to swim with dolphins, they are amazing. I have also had the pleasure of doing this in Bimini for a week and it is awesome!