We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach From Cruise Port

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach From Cruise Port

We are stopping in St. Croix the first day of our cruise in March. Throughout our cruise we have plans to do a few different rainforest tours and activities so our first day we want to just want to find a beautiful beach with chairs, a beach bar to get drinks and some off beach snorkeling (we have our own gear).

Buck Island sounds amazing for snorkeling and the beach but doesn't look like it has a place to get drinks and is also so far away from the ship it is more of an excursion than a relaxing beach day.

What other beaches would there be to accommodate our needs of beautiful beach, place to get drinks (not too crazy though, looking for a beach bar shack not a margarittaville), good snorkeling?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,406 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

Cane Bay beach would be good. Nice beach, good snorkeling, beach bars (I really like the friendly people at Spratnet - they will rent beach loungers for $7.00 a day, too - you've described them well - a beach bar shack). Very nice restaurant - eat@Cane Bay. Take a cab there. Even the drive to that area is beautiful - jungly and rural.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

Sounds right up our alley... how much does it cost to take a cab there and is there a concern about not being able to get a cab to take you back?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

Cane Bay would be a great choice! Most of the Cruise Ship Companies have buses that will take you to various locations around the island and I know they stop at Cane Bay. You will have your choice of 3 restaurant/bars within walking distance.

Sand Castle would be another great beach. It has a restaurant/bar and great snorkeling -- very laid back

Check out the other beach/snorkeling posts on this forum, and you will get a lot of ideas. Have a great time!

Philadelphia,PA
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

We are looking for the same exact thing! White sandy beach with a cocktail and a nice beach chair!

Are there any resorts that have day passes to purchase on this island? That's always a given, they usually include drinks and all the amenities included in the price.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,406 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

katymara - Sandcastles has a cruise special:

sandcastleonthebeach.com/CruisePassengerBeac…

That's the only one I'm aware of. Perhaps e-mail the Renaissance Carambola. It's a gorgeous property!

St. Croix is not heavily populated with resorts (at least the types one might be used to on other Caribbean islands).

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

The best beaches are on the west end near the pier. Sandcastles (Beachside Café) is my favorite. There is a beautiful beach right next to the pier with a small beach bar. Then there is Rainbow Beach which is about a mile north of the pier- beautiful beach, great swimming, and superb snorkeling at the north end. Cane Bay is ok but the beach has been eroded by storms and it can be rough there.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

Well.. just my opinion but the feel that I get at Cane Bay is distinctly different than the beaches near Fredericksted. The Cane Bay is area is kind of mountainous & remote, full of greenery with better snorkleing in my experience. Fredericksted has an wider open sort of feel and of course you are still basically in the town general area. I always enjoy the ride and views on the way from Fredericksted to Cane Bay also. Very worthwhile and you can even stop at The Domino Club for a drink...

Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

When we stopped in St. Croix on our cruise last February, we spent the day at Sandcastles. It was at the end of a busy - and beach filled- itinerary. We enjoyed it very much and were happy that it was a nice ending to a trip with many good beach experiences instead of the last one being a disappointment.

We didn't snorkel so can't comment on that part.

We are shipping out just before you mid-February this year and are planning to spend our day in St. Croix there again. It's second port on the trip rather than last this time. I'll report back in more detail when I get back.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

We have decided to spend the first part of our day relaxing at Sandcastle's on the beach (Sandcastle Beach). They have a deal for $25 for [2] beach chairs, [2] Drinks & and an umbrella for $25. There is a shuttle that leaves the cruise port every 15 minutes (or so they say) and does a loop between sandcastle beach, the cruise port and rainbow beach for $6/pp/rt. The second half of our day we plan on heading over to Rhythms on rainbow beach for some music, drinks and general silliness.

Gardnerville, Nevada
Level Contributor
271 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beach From Cruise Port

I think your plan to take the round trip shuttle to Sand Castles and Rainbow Beach is an excellent idea. You don't have to worry about finding a ride back to the ship and the price is right. It's what I would do if I was here just for a day. Come back for a week and we'll give you lots of other ideas.