We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grocery stores

Moe
Level Contributor
138 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
grocery stores

First time to STX....Is there a grocery store (that the locals actually shop at) near Cotton Valley? Would we have to go to Christiansted? How far would these two places be from each other? I've read about the Market in Christiansted, is this more expensive than other grocery stores? Will they have liquor at these stores or is this a seperate liquor store?

Also I read that in St. Lucia a six pack of beer is $12.00! Is this the same in STX?

We're thinking about a villa in this area in the winter and wondering if this is the best location. How far is the drive from Cotton Valley to Christiansted. Is it possible to walk?

A BIG SHOUT OUT to all that contribute to this forum. It has helped us thru MANY trips....

Thank You.

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: grocery stores

Moe, Cotton Valley is not close to anything. Christiansted is a 15 minute drive. Closest supermarket is Schooner Bay and it's just before C'Sted. Plus it is small and the last few times I was in there the shelves were very poorly stocked. Your next store is through C'Sted in Golden Rock, Pueblo Market. A little further down the road a 5 corners is Food Town. And in the Sunny Isle area is Plaza Extra. If you are doing a big shopping, go to Plaza.

Coors Lite is $16.95 a case at Plaza. Bud and Miller is priced about the same.

The market you read about in C'Sted is an ols market area from a hundred years ago. The market refers to an area of town, not a food market.

Locally made Cruzan Rum is $3 to4 per liter. And you can buy beer and booze just about anywhere, including the hardware stores.

Cotton Valley is a nice area and depending on the location, you could have a good view is Buck Island and on clear days, St. Thomas, St. John and the BVI.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grocery stores

I'm sure Pilotboy can confirm or dispute this, but every time we've been there, K-mart was *the* place to buy booze of any kind. I recall putting together one of those 6-packs of bottles (Amaretto, various rum, kahlua, baileys, etc) for about $35. Maybe that's changed?

Yes, rum is incredibly cheap that. Absolut too...

Pilotboy - sounds like things have changed at Schooner Bay. When we were last there two years ago, it was well stocked with a wonderful deli. A relatively small store (compared to Plaza), and not cheap, but we found everything we wanted for the week...

Moe
Level Contributor
138 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grocery stores

Thanks to both of you...Moe

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: grocery stores

Bailey57, Schooner Bay had changed ownership about, I think, 18 months ago. I have been in 4-5 times in the last several months and there was a whole lot of empty shelf space each time. And with this comes the small town gossip about the store's condition.

But they seem to have a lot of customers. Most are at the deli and prepared food section it seems. Maybe it was just the time of day I was there.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grocery stores

Schooner Bay is not as good as it used to be but you can get a few items there and it is pricey. Stop and Save next door is usually a better bet. Pueblo has some good things but they are expensive too. Plaza Extra is the best - or next door is Cost U Less. Buy your booze at Cost U Less.

US Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grocery stores

I concur that Schooner Bay Market has gone way down. But, it's the closest game in town to the East end so we end up going there. The other day I spoke with the manager because it has been 3-4 weeks since they had an ice cream delivery!!!! That's just typical of the store. Half the time they are out of basics.

If you are on the East end, there is a great little deli/restaurant called Just 'N Case across from the St. Croix Yacht Club. They have wonderful deli foods and a small grocery AND ice cream!!

Pa
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: grocery stores

The reason there is no ice cream is because the local supplier of ice cream has not been making deliveries to the island. Same is true for Plaza and Foodtown. It is hard to have something to sell when it is not available.

California
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: grocery stores

We rarely have problems finding what we need at Schooner. Maybe you are going in on the wrong days of the week. Their container comes in every Wednesday.

Best looking produce that we can find in the local stores and all of their beef is Certified Angus, which is what we buy when we are stateside.

California
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: grocery stores

We rarely have problems finding what we need at Schooner. Maybe you are going in on the wrong days of the week. Their container comes in every Wednesday.

Best looking produce that we can find in the local stores and all of their beef is Certified Angus, which is what we buy when we are stateside.

STX
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: grocery stores

The key to buying groceries in the islands, is knowing when the stores receive their containers. I shop at Schooner Bay several times a week. They have the best beef and produce and selection of wines on the island. If you need produce you shop on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, right after the container is unloaded.

The shelves at Schooner Bay are filled with a wide assortment of items not available in other stores on St. Croix. As for the Ice Cream, I would agree. However I did go to Plaza and they too had no selection of the better ice creams. You can't stock the shelves if the supplier doesn't have the product.

My hat is off to the new owners and management of Schooner Bay for continuing to supply St. Croix with fine foods.