We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about St. Croix beaches

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
question about St. Croix beaches

We are considering a vacation on St. Croix, have never been. We love ocean swimming, but not when it is hard to get in and out of the water. Prefer moderate to no surf, and sandy beach with sandy approach into the water. We've had good experiences on Eleuthera, Tulum, Isla Mujeres, Dominican Republic - just want to be sure we can swim!

Some reviews of St. Croix hotels I have read refer to rocks or coral getting into the water. I don't ant to have to wear water shoes to go swimming, just want to get in and swim away.

Ayy comments? suggestions for good beach/resort/inn whatever?

Buck Island Reef National Monument
Islands, Monuments & Statues, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Reefs
Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

Your best bet would be staying either in Frederiksted on the west end (very little/no wave action), or at either the Bucanneer or the Divi. Both of those resorts have nice sandy, gentle sloped beaches and gentle water.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

Davis Bay beach at Carambola has a good size stretch at the west end that's perfect for getting in and out.. The rest of the beach not so much. And for condos the beach a Gentle Winds is OK.

Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

Last there is Cane bay which is home to the famous canebay wall. Beach is wonderful with snorkle and dive equipment available. There are a couple of local.bars /restauramts there, and off the wall pozza is best on island. On the east end around the corner from cheeseburgers in paridise, is chenay bay and the beach there is wonderful as is the restaurant and bar. Large beachbeds are available. Chenay bay is an excellent choice to stay too..

New Britain...
Level Contributor
932 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

If you want an easy entrance to the water, check out the history of Cottages by the Sea. Mr. Benedict lost a leg in WWI before moving to STX where he was the High School principle. When he retired he started Cottages on the west coast on the island because that was the easiest spot for him to get into and out of the water. IMO Cottages has the best "swimmin" beach on the island.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

Cottages by the Sea, Sandcastles, and the Buccaneer would be my recommendations. Divi and Chenay have grassy bottoms.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

thanks for the info!

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

Well...I'm not in the most light hearted mood today but anyway...As far as the beaches being "rocky" ,I guess my idea of a rocky beach vs. some other posters is fairly different. If a beach has lots of open area to enter the water ,I say it's fine. Some might call it rocky if there are rocky outcrops ,an occasional rock or two in the area , or a rock shelf on a small part of the actual beach. So what...I have to say that some will say that the beaches on the west end are the best and I agree that they're pretty nice and normally have little or no wave action. If the winds are up , then waves get bigger. So what... For example, on Rainbow Beach if the truth be known, there some small areas where there are a few rocks. So what... I just walk around that little rock and enjoy my swim. The beaches at The Buccaneer do have some "rocks". So what,,,They are full of palm trees for shade, there is BEER nearby and are never crowded. Tamarind Reef is rocky but it has good snorkeling. So what...Some people like to snorkle and you don't get good snorkeling without rocks/reefs. Chenay Bay has a nice rock free swath of sand. The Carambola has plenty of rock free areas to get into the water and enjoy it. The beaches on STX have great BEACH BARS...That's worth a lot to me.. Just for comparison sake, having been to St.John a lot of times, they have some very,very rocky beaches and some of the prettiest beaches ever. To mention some by name, Cinnamon Bay and Maho Bay do have rocks...So what... You'll be hard pressed to find more picturesque spots. They have plenty of easy access,palms trees ,good snorkeling but one has to bring ones own BEER...So what.. My last comment is that we've never been to the islands during the winter months and I've read that it gets windy in those months which can make swimming a bit more difficult. Having mostly gone from April thru Oct. ,to the Caribbean ,we've always found nice warm water, small or no waves at all and plenty of good weather plus lots of good beaches...I've yet to find that perfect one like some might expect but I can't say that I've ever been on a bad one. I did step on a sea urchin one time but I was in a place that I had no busines being in. If I used my head I'd have never tried to get in the water there...There's no such thing as a bad beach on STX...some are just better than the others...Get to STX and you'll love it...Thanks for allowing me to be grumpy...

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

Stcroixtraveler - even your "grumpy" comments describe the island beautifully.

St. Croix
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

@Scubadoo, Gentle Winds has a great beach! It has nice soft sand, lots of tall palm trees, a large area in the water with a sandy bottom and some pretty good snorkeling on the reef that is just off shore. The reef also breaks up any big waves before they reach the beach. It is located, however, at Gentle Winds Condos and is not accessible to the general public. You have to be a guest or resident at the property, or you have to swim there! ;)

stcroixtourism.com/beaches/gentle_winds.htm

Edited: 13 May 2014, 19:50
boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: question about St. Croix beaches

Don't they have to give access to the public as all beaches on St. Croix are public?