We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Croix or St. John?

Level Contributor
120 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
St. Croix or St. John?

We haven't been to St. Croix but loved St. John. We are trying to decide where to go next spring.

Love the beaches, snorkeling, good restaurants, some shopping. Any ideas on which island is

better for these activities? Any suggestions on three bedroom villas? Want en-suite bathrooms,

great showers, comfy beds, nice kitchen, pool, internet., CLEAN!!

Thank you.

Kennebunk, Maine
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

We adore stj and are planning a trip to stx next. Looks to me like stx is overall less expensive and easier to get to.....that trip to redhook after a long day and the mob scene once the ferry arrives in stj are more daunting as we get older...after a trip to barbados we were delighted to only have a 15 min cab to our destination....a lot more choices for beaches and restaurants on stx but that means a lot more planning....

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
867 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

There's not a lot of similarity between STJ and STX. STJ is mostly national park, very touristy, limited shopping and facilities, and yes, you need to take the ferry there. STX is the largest of the USVI and is more fully featured, many more restaurants, several grocery stores, two towns although there isn't much in F'sted, stop lights (I don't think there are any on STJ yet), less expensive in general than STJ, less touristy, lots of activities. The beaches on STJ are stunning but there are fewer of them than on STX. If you stayed on STJ you know there's not much shopping, STX and STT are the place for shopping. STX doesn't get more than 1 cruise ship at a time so the island isn't constantly overrun with day timers.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,795 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

The two islands are very different. Stx has more large trees so the roads are more shaded. Stx is flatter with straight roads instead of the hilly, curved roads of Stj.

No island hopping from Stx except trips to Buck Island.

Stx looks more historical than Stj. Stx has greater diving diversity because of the wall.

Both islands are good for hiking.

I think the beaches on St John are prettier.

I think St John has the best shopping, but Stx is better than Stt, imo, but it all depends on what you're hoping to buy.

No 2 islands are alike, though tourism marketing hasn't figured that out yet!

New Britain...
Level Contributor
892 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

Go to STJ. From the requirements you list for your stay I don't think you'd like STX. It is too real, too earthy

PL3
CT
Level Contributor
244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

STT is the big city

STJ is the rich suburb

STX is the country

Boston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

One big difference is you can actually stay on the beach on STX without taking out a second mortgage on your house. There is a lot more to do in STX and the restaurants are the best in the VI, hands down.

They are very different islands and pretty much everything stated above is accurate - just depends on what you are looking for. STX has everything on your list, but the beaches on STJ are among the best in the world and STX does have some really beautiful beaches, most on STJ are nicer. Also, to me STX has more of an island feel and the people are really lovely if you take the time to engage them.

Good luck.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

Ever since going to STJ I am addicted to the place. The smells, sounds and laidback vibe are just intoxicating. But I am also interested in going to STX on our next trip, possibly dividing up the the stay. Thinking about flying to STT , then cape air or similiar to STX for a week then caneel for three nights (never been and want to check it out).

There do not seem to be any direct flights to STX from philly or newark which seems strange to me as that would make going there alot easier for a huge population .

Anyone know of direct flights from my area?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

I think you would have to go through Miami or maybe Charlotte on AA.

Otherwise, it is through San Juan.

9. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 12:10
Portersville...
Level Contributor
127 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Croix or St. John?

We have been to both islands many times and we prefer St. Croix, but everyone has different tastes. We were on St. Croix 4 times last year and so far once this year with 2 more weeks coming up. This last January, we decided to go to St. John as we hadn't been there for about 4 years. At the last minute we decided to tack on another week and fly the seaplane over to St.Croix and that was great. Here are our pros and cons (if it helps any).

ST. JOHN PROS:

Better snorkeling

Beautiful beaches

Ability to island hop

ST. JOHN CONS:

Takes an entire day to get there and to get home

Restaurants are more limited and crowded

It may be mostly a national park, but it can be very crowded, parking is always an issue

Expensive

I hate the dumpsters all along the roads overflowing with garbage

ST. CROIX PROS:

Never crowded (although over the past 10 years I think there are definitely more tourists)

I live in PA and can leave home at 6 am and be on the beach by 3pm

Less expensive

Diverse landscapes

More lodging choices that are reasonably priced ( we do Buccaneer or Gentle Winds depending on how many of us there are)

More things do to that just the beach, more history and culture

Very nice people

ST. CROIX CONS:

It has a few (avoidable) rough areas.

Both towns can be a little sketchy at night (but see above)

We were chased by a begger one night who wasn't happy with what we gave him for "watching our car" during dinner and I had another one drop his pants, flash me and pee on my tire at Quality Market one afternoon (however we still laugh about "the whizzer" today)

Snorkeling is not quite as good as St. John

As my husband says "St. John is nice, but St. Croix is home".