We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

Just wondering if Stixx and Parrot's Cove are open these days.

We certainly enjoyed their hospitality in the past but on our last trip in October 2008 the upstairs at Stixx was closed and only the bar downstairs was open .

There was also a new bar/restaurant in front of the old Don's Anchor Inn that was nearing completion of construction at the time as well. Has this opened and has anyone visited it? Thanks in advance...two weeks and counting...can't wait to be back!

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

When we were on STX in August, neither Parrots Cove nor Stixx appeared to be opened. I think Stixx had a for sale/for rent sign on it.

I don't know Don's Anchor Inn but you may be referring to the bar at the Comanche Club which is supposed to be open on the boardwalks. Do others know?

And, of course, Angry Nate's is a relative newcomer on the boardwalk as well.

Have a great trip!

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

Thanks ccrosner!

Appreciate the quick response and it seems that quite a few posters have good things to say about Angry Nate's so it looks like thsey will get a bit of our business as well as Rum Runners which is one of the most friendly spots on the boardwalk.

Thanks again!

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

There are a couple of new places out in the Cane Bay area, too - Rowdy Joe's and the very recent EAT@Cane Bay (replaced the Cane Bay Beach Bar). AM hearing really good things about both of them. I also heard that someone is re-opening the spot where Lori's Deli used to be at The Reef and that Smokie's was sold and is being worked on.

Please give us a report when you return!

Here's a great site for keeping up with what's happening on St. Croix - blogging every day and keeping up with the entertainment scene: The St. Croix Lime:

http://www.stcroixlime.com/

Have a great time!

- Margy

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

Thanks Margy,

Looks like a trip out towards Cane Bay will be in order.

Appreciate all of the tips and the website info as well.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

mganut - You must have been in STX a while back as well because Dons has not been open for a long time. It was one of our favorite places for breakfast and loved those Golden Eagles for lunch......but I digress.

We were there in Nov last year ( 4 weeks till we are there again) and Stixx was pretty much closed (used to love that place as well). The place you are talking about by Dons is a new hotel etc and as of last year only the hotel was open ( you are talking about the big yellow building where the Marina Bar used to be).

Parrots Cove was open and busy when we were there - not sure about this year though.

Last year we tried Zebos (Strand st) and it was wonderful!

Have a great time!!!!!

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

Cate, we have been going to STX for a long time.

I believe that our first trip was in 1976 when we stayed at the Jockey Club, which then became Hotel on the Cay. We have been returning to HOC ever since.

Our favorite haunts at that time included the Limin Inn, Don's (especially for breakfast), Trivoli Gardens, Commanche, Dick's and the Outrigger (which burned).

It will be interesing to see if the bar/restaurant at new yellow building will be finally open next week when we are there. Shame that Stixx has closed as it was our favorite place to unwind with a pizza and a beer while taking in the sunset during our first night on the island.

We will be sure to try Zebos...thanks for the tip.

Thanks again for your post!

st. croix USVI
Level Contributor
428 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

Coconut telegraph has it this way... Parrot's Cove, owner Jack, took over at Cheney Bay. The old Stixx/Parrot's Cove was allegedly sold to someone who had a pizzeria theme in mind, but alas, nothing has happened at this date.

The other fave is the Christiansted Brew Pub on the other end of the boardwalk. Rummrunners has a no smoking policy unless you're seated at the bar. Angry Nates and the Brew Pub do not have this rule in place as of this writing.

All are great for people watching and just hanging out without spending a bunch of $. Also, the food servings are large enough for two people; if not, order more, but you'll usually find that the one serving is enough.

The cheapest option.. make your own beverage and just find a bench (you may want to pack a cooler). Cheap travel tips... yeah, I'm all over that!

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

Wow-- that's the first time I've seen the Outrigger mentioned on this message board! I've often wondered what happened to it. It was a great place back in the early 70's. So it burned?

And I'm confused about The Jockey Club comment. :) I know back in 1970 Hotel on the Cay was called Hotel on the Cay because I used to go there to swim. When I was 17 I also worked in the little beach hut renting sail boats,underwater cameras,etc. I've never heard of the Jockey Club-- was that what the little outside restaurant was called?

Chicagoland
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

Rcarp,

Thanks for the updates on the local bar scene.

I guess we will have to run over to Chenay Bay and catch up with Jack as we enjoyed meeting and spending time with him in the past.

Looking forward to next week!

Chicagoland
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Christiansted Boardwalk Bars

The Outrigger was quite the spot in its day. We remember good bands and great people and I always enjoyed spending time looking through the visitors sign in book...names from around the world.

The Jockey Club is how I remember HOC during our first visit in 1976, and I seem to remember on our second or third visit two or three years later, it was changing to timeshare as HOC.

Who knows...maybe the sun and rum over the years has taken its toll but I will try to confirm while we are there over the next two weeks.

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted