We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
121 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

Hi, I'm looking into moderately priced resorts. How does this resort compare to others in the area. Thanks.

FlDave

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

Could use a little more info to give you the most informed answer. What kind of accomodations are you looking for? Like to be near activities or like to be "away from it all", prefer restaurant on site or doesn't matter, like self provisioned condo with cooking facilities or prefer full service resort with waitstaff around pool, is budget $100/n or $300/n or somewhere inbetween, travelling in winter or summer, will rent a car or rely on taxis.

One of St. Croix's strengths is that it has literally something for everyone's tastes and budget. If you give us a little more info I'm sure you will get lots of info.

Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
121 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

Thanks STX203, I'm looking at spending up to $250 per night. I prefer smaller resorts.My wife however prefers the larger "destination resorts" that have all the trappings that one could possibly want(except the true island feel:).We are traveling with our 14yo daughter. Together I guess we prefer more of a relaxed style vacation as apposed to a busy ,itinerary filled one. Oh,renting a car is an option if necessary. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

FlDave

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

In the USVI we prefer renting villas to staying at resorts but having said that, Chenay Bay is a resort on STX that we return to again and again for the beach and the beach bar during our stays on the east end. They have steel pan and other types of live entertainment most every night. The beach is pretty, the water generally calm, there is decent snorkeling right off the beach. There are beautiful views from the pool area. CB is accessed from East End Road along a short drive. You will need a car. CB is on the east end, north shore. Within about 10-20 minutes there are probably 10-15 other good beaches for you to try. There are restaurants like Good Spirits, The Cultured Pelican, Cheeseburgers, Chicken Charlie's, Duggan's Reef, The Galleon, The Deep End Bar and the restaurants at The Buccaneer. I have never been in the cottages but they look cute to me - they look well kept and freshly painted, and all have front porches. Not sure of the views from any of them, though. CB is about 15 minutes from C’Sted along the East End Road. Closer to CB is Gallows Bay, with the gourmet Schooner Bay Market, a drugstore, several additional restaurants like The Golden Rail, No Bones, The Case Place.

More upscale and more colonially Caribbean is The Buccaneer to the west of Chenay Bay on the road from the east end to C’Sted. The grounds are just beautiful, the staff is attentive, they have a great choice of accommodations, there is an 18 hole golf course, tennis, 3 beaches (and a fourth, the beautiful Shoy’s, just nearby) a spa, a couple of beach-side restaurants and the beautiful Terrace restaurant and bar. We like to go to the Terrace Bar for the low-key live entertainment and to watch the sun set and the lights come on to the west in C’Sted. From the Buccaneer you would have the same additional beach and other restaurant options that you would have at Chenay Bay.

We’re heading back in about 3 weeks. We’re staying where we stayed last year, at a lovely little 2 bedroom beachfront villa with a pool and killer view out over the STX Yacht Club, the reef, and Buck Island. I’m so excited to be going back – this will be our fourth trip to STX in four years. vacationstcroix.com/IslandTime/villa_Island_…

There are great choices for accommodations on STX – have fun planning your trip. Here are a couple of good additional resources: www.gotostcroix.com and http://www.stcroixlime.com/ These sites should help before your trip and while you are on island (especially The St. Croix Lime that keeps track of live entertainment at all of the various venues).

- Margy

Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

Hello,

My review for some reason has not posted yet but it should soon.

Myself and a my best friend stayed at Chenay Bay in January. If you want laid back, this is the place. (You can always head to another resort for dinner and dancing if you want a night with crowds and such.) Some of the other resorts nearby look huge. We were there Sunday-Wednesday so there was no entertainment, but none was needed either.

That being said. I would reserve directly. This way you can request an updated room. Ours was not, but we liked it none the less. We met people there and saw their place and were very impressed! I believe they were in 35. We were in unit 5.

My friend, she LOVED the pool! I cut my foot so I stayed out of it. But it was beautiful as was the hot tub.

We were only there 3 days, yet everyone there knew our names within an evening. (Wonder what we did??) Seriously, everyone there is friendly and helpful.

I am sure you read the review with pix about bedbugs. They MAY have had them, but our issue were these very small gnats that come out just near sunrise and sunset and disappear just as quick.They are pesky, but the restaurant always had bug spray handy, but bring some anyways.

Speaking of the restaurant and bar. We both loved it. The Monday night AYCE crablegs....... Mmmmmmmmmm

What was fun for us and others we met, was once the bar and restaurant closed, we would go back to our rooms and bring food and drinks down and stayed there all night long. We played cards, walked the beach, go back for more and just learned about each other. Just 6 of us having a wonderful time. It was fantastic.

The beach is very nice. You will see in my review about sleeping on the beach under the stars one night.

This is a timeshare resort and there will be a short presentation if you decide to attend. But hey, ya get enough back for a nice dinner at the restaurant. They are NOT high pressure presentations at all. It is more a meet and greet for guests.

Suggestions:

Again Bug Spray

Make ressies directly (I have a direct number to someone there if you would like it) If you mentioned I was the one who cut my foot, Patti will know who I am

If wanting to roam, rent a car. (Driving on the left is not hard) This resort is only 10 minutes or so from Chrstiansted, but there is very little in between.

The first evening we wanted to get some food and drink for our room, we went to the first station open. Although no issues I did not like the guys leering and commenting about my beautiful friend. Next time we drove to town and not an issue at all. And this trip was a 3am!)

Plus our next trip to St Croix which will be longer and we want to take day trips to other parts of the island so a car is a must.

If you have an issue, don't sit and dwell on it, just ask to have it corrected and it will be. Nikki, Patti, Victor, the two 'D's at the bar, all were wonderful.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

Hello,

My review for some reason has not posted yet but it should soon.

Myself and a my best friend stayed at Chenay Bay in January. If you want laid back, this is the place. (You can always head to another resort for dinner and dancing if you want a night with crowds and such.) Some of the other resorts nearby look huge. We were there Sunday-Wednesday so there was no entertainment, but none was needed either.

That being said. I would reserve directly. This way you can request an updated room. Ours was not, but we liked it none the less. We met people there and saw their place and were very impressed! I believe they were in 35. We were in unit 5.

My friend, she LOVED the pool! I cut my foot so I stayed out of it. But it was beautiful as was the hot tub.

We were only there 3 days, yet everyone there knew our names within an evening. (Wonder what we did??) Seriously, everyone there is friendly and helpful.

I am sure you read the review with pix about bedbugs. They MAY have had them, but our issue were these very small gnats that come out just near sunrise and sunset and disappear just as quick.They are pesky, but the restaurant always had bug spray handy, but bring some anyways.

Speaking of the restaurant and bar. We both loved it. The Monday night AYCE crablegs....... Mmmmmmmmmm

What was fun for us and others we met, was once the bar and restaurant closed, we would go back to our rooms and bring food and drinks down and stayed there all night long. We played cards, walked the beach, go back for more and just learned about each other. Just 6 of us having a wonderful time. It was fantastic.

The beach is very nice. You will see in my review about sleeping on the beach under the stars one night.

This is a timeshare resort and there will be a short presentation if you decide to attend. But hey, ya get enough back for a nice dinner at the restaurant. They are NOT high pressure presentations at all. It is more a meet and greet for guests.

Suggestions:

Again Bug Spray

Make ressies directly (I have a direct number to someone there if you would like it) If you mentioned I was the one who cut my foot, Patti will know who I am

If wanting to roam, rent a car. (Driving on the left is not hard) This resort is only 10 minutes or so from Chrstiansted, but there is very little in between.

The first evening we wanted to get some food and drink for our room, we went to the first station open. Although no issues I did not like the guys leering and commenting about my beautiful friend. Next time we drove to town and not an issue at all. And this trip was a 3am!)

Plus our next trip to St Croix which will be longer and we want to take day trips to other parts of the island so a car is a must.

If you have an issue, don't sit and dwell on it, just ask to have it corrected and it will be. Nikki, Patti, Victor, the two 'D's at the bar, all were wonderful.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

Reading thru the responses, I would say that if you are;

#1 Budgeting around $250/ night.

#2 Going in the off season.

#3 If your options might include The Buccaneer.

Then in my mind give The Buc some serious consideration. It might appear to be too pricey but when you look at everything you get, like the wonderful breakfast,kids in your room for no extra charge, free water sports plus whatever else they may be throwing in to the mix when you decide to book the place is a realtive bargain. The Buc by no means has the feel of some of the big resorts that we've been to in Mexico, Puerto Rico ,STT and so on. As far as the level of accomodations and service, I'd have to say that the Buc wins hands down. Let me say though that we've never stayed at CB. Over the years we did stop by there twice and both times the experience was not so hot....In all fairness, this happened over 5 years ago ,so maybe things are better there now. When we went there for lunch one time they were out of half of the items on the menu. They were out of some of the brands of beer listed also. It gave me a bad taste for the place and we never went back. I also have to admit that I'm simply a huge fan of The Buc. We have been to a whole bunch of other islands and destinations and The Buc is as comfortable and enjoyable as any place the we've ever been to. Keep doing the research and asking questions and you'll be able to make a good choice. I believe that you get good ,honest straight forward advice on this site. I occasionally do read some reviews here that are somewhat unfair. For instance the repeated complaint that some of the better hotels, and I'd include CB in that category, on STX have bed bugs is just plain silly. They are not bed bugs. I'd bet anything that they are the no see'ums. Some other reviews and forum comments can be seen to be done by people who should never travel to places like STX. They either expect way too much or delude themselves as to what they will find in the tropics. STX is a wonderful place to visit, so I'd say don't miss the chance to check it out..

Canton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

we just stayed at chenay bay in feb. all around very nice. the only real complaint i have is our air condition unit could not cool down the room and it was unbearable trying to sleep. but...the beach is great, the resturant great, the pool is great and the staff was great. the room was good, a bit small, but we are small people. we have stayed at cottages by the sea and really loved it, but there is no pool or resturant. we are probably going to rent a condo next year. you should consider the divi also...good location and great ammenities.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
44 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

In regards to requesting the upgraded units - getting one of these will depend on the time of year. They are the units that are sold as time shares. SO only the weeks that are still open can be rented.

Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
121 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

Thanks all, I really appreciate your feedback and knowledge on this topic. As my travel time is in mid June - 13-18, I still have some time to explore all my options for my St Croix visit. As this is my first there I hope to continue to get this great "insider" information before I make my decision.

Again thanks,

FlDave

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
640 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chenay Bay Beach Resort???

We stayed at CB in 2008 and enjoyed ourselves, as we used CB as a place to stay, while we explored the island going to a different beach each day. I was reading some of the recent reviews and it does sound like the place has slipped further dayhill, I recall the bites all over my legs and arms (thought it was no-seeums, but after reading and seeing pictures of bedbug bites, which the staff didn't dispute, in fact they refunded the posters money).

We are going back to STX in January 2011 and have booked the Divi this time. Do your research very carefully, I think for the money you are looking to spend you can do better. As part of our January 2011 trip we will be staying for a week on St John as well, and are going through the website Vacation Rental by Owner to rent a cottage ($1000 a week), take a look through the listings in St Croix, it might be something that will work for you, vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/caribbean/usvi-us-… - St Croix is a beautiful island with numerous beaches and vistas to explore, yoiu'll love it.

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted